Jun 2, 2023
I just hatched this bantam cochin baby this morning. my question is, is she black or mottled? I know typically mottleds have a lot more white, but she has a lot more white than the other solid black babies I hatched. She has white tipped wings and a little white on her legs. As well as really blue belly down. Came from my Cochin pen and I’m assuming her mom is my mottled Cochin and dad is my red calico. TIA. Name ideas are also appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3714.jpeg
    IMG_3714.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3717.jpeg
    IMG_3717.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 7
Looks like black.
Well darn. Genetically is it possible for the calico and mottled pairing to produce mottled or calico babies? I’ve gotten both calico and Millie fluer from my Millie hens with the calico roo but this is the first baby I’ve hatched from the mottled hen.

Well darn. Genetically is it possible for the calico and mottled pairing to produce mottled or calico babies? I’ve gotten both calico and Millie fluer from my Millie hens with the calico roo but this is the first baby I’ve hatched from the mottled hen.
I have no idea about calico genetics, I'm sorry.

I don't know a whole lot about genetics, but mottling is recessive. With only one mottled parent full mottling won't show. She would carry the mottled gene which may show some when young. Sorry I know nothing of calico genes.

Back
Top Bottom