Week old olive egger chick tiny and not gaining weight?

Have you tried pecking the food on the ground with your finger? And going like cheep cheep yourself? Mimicking a Mama hen? I do that and with the water too. Good luck

My heart goes out to you and the little one.
Yes I do that and she responds somewhat but either looks and doesn’t eat, or eats a tiny bit and then walks away. Thank you 😭❤️

I heard to dip their beaks. I tried pecking too, but they didn't seem to catch on. They did try to huddle under my hand though. Mama must have been an UGLY chicken if they think my hand looks like her!
We dip their beaks in a few times when we get them home, my kids call it "first day at school" (swirlies lol) it takes a couple times but generally speaking they catch on. Our last batch huddled under my son's hand until the brooder plate heated up

Yes I do that and she responds somewhat but either looks and doesn’t eat, or eats a tiny bit and then walks away. Thank you 😭❤️
Do you happen to have a heat gun to sort of check her temp? And surrounding area? I'm sure you've tried everything, just tossing out other ideas

My husband took care of an injured chick from our first batch for over three days, dunking her beak, giving her eggs, wet mash, so I get the feelers. Ours was 4 weeks and pulled through but it was touch and go

Just want to thank you all for suggestions but unfortunately she died at a week after I posted (chick was 2 weeks old) :( not meant to be I suppose! Other two chicks are doing great although the polish is slow growing she is eating and doing all the good chicken things so I’m not worried! 💕 planning on getting new chicks in the spring (September). Thanks everyone so much ❤️

Just want to thank you all for suggestions but unfortunately she died at a week after I posted (chick was 2 weeks old) :( not meant to be I suppose! Other two chicks are doing great although the polish is slow growing she is eating and doing all the good chicken things so I’m not worried! 💕 planning on getting new chicks in the spring (September). Thanks everyone so much ❤️
Sorry for the loss of this poor thing. :hugs
Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom