Do bugs in the feed concern you?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Sometimes I find evidence of moths in newly-opened bags of feed. There will be silky threads making long clumps of the crumbles, sometimes stuck to the side of the bag, sometimes within the feed. I will return them to the feed store for an exchange.

According to the feed store manager I return more bags of feed than any of their other customers. Am I being too particular about the quality of my feed?

I probably would return it too! That's gross, maybe you can tell them, "if they don't want you returning bags so often, then pack the feed better!" I'm sure your chickens don't mind it though...

It's like getting ready to make pie crust and you find weevils in your flower.
tongue.gif

No, I won't feed mine anything with bugs in it either. The issue being that bugs to me are an indication of a problem either with improper storage or being stored too long. Just because the chickens will still eat it, does not mean that it could not be harmful if it's spoilt.

I have ended up with a few bags of caterpillars or moths in feed. The feed also smelled stale. I think that is the main problem, the staleness. So yes return it and get a replacement or refund.

I go at least twice a week to the feed store that is closest to me (about a 15-minute drive), it also has the lowest prices. They are a long-established feed store with a good reputation, selling all sorts of feed & supplies, tack, clothing, boots, chicks, bunnies, caged birds, etc etc etc. They can offer the best prices because they order in such enormous quantity. They store much of their feed in a huge un-airconditioned warehouse. I don't often find the moth webs in the feed, perhaps once every 3-4 months? I haven't kept track of the rate.

When I do find it in a freshly-opened bag, I go back to the store with my receipt for an exchange or refund. I don't get angry or upset with the store staff, just politely ask for an exchange. I realize how difficult it is to keep ahead of the bugs here in South Florida. But I don't want to give the infested feed to my birds. It's usually in the crumbles I feed to the chicks, and I am even more cautious of what they are fed. I don't think I've ever found it in the layer pellets.

Last week I opened a bag of chick starter I had bought 4 days previously. It was SWARMING with bugs, I heard the shrieking violins from the Psycho shower scene in my head "Screee! Screee! Screee!" when I looked inside. I quickly put the sack in a plastic garbage bag & carried it to my front gate. The next day I took it to the feed store, leaving it out by my van in the parking lot so the bugs wouldn't infest the food in the store. I told the cashier I wanted an exchange and another staff member overhears, looks at me, and says to the cashier "You have to call the manager. This lady is ALWAYS returning feed."

So instead of hearing an apology from the manager for this infested bag of feed I got an earful from him about how I am the ONLY customer who ever returns bags of feed, that they've processed more returns from me than any other customer. He went to the warehouse & returned with another bag of the feed from the same pallet. It wasn't infested like the other bag, but it had clumps & threads dangling from the top of the bag. He said "it's only moths, that's okay" but I said that I don't like to give feed like that to my chicks. So he just said I could get my money back.

I told him I resented the implication of that other staff member, that I'm not "always" returning feed, that I'm a good steady customer, not trying to cause trouble. I asked if he thought I was being too particular about the quality of the feed I get there. I cannot answer for other folks, if they just go ahead & give their chicks moth-infested feed, or if they can afford to throw it out, but I certainly cannot afford to do that. I also cannot afford to drive further & pay more for my chickens' feed, so I'm going to have to try & keep at peace with these folks. I'm going to have to open the bags when they're loaded & inspect them before I leave.

So that's why I posted this question, to see what other people do about this issue. Thank you for your imput.

I think you are correct to return the food and it is rude of them to hassle you about it. And for the manager to say, "It's only moths, it's ok." is just rude. To me that's asking you to pay full price for inferior product. If it's full of a lot of bugs then your paying for a lot of bug poop and left over powdery fines from their eating. Some people may say it's fine, that the chickens will enjoy the bugs but to me that's not the point. When I pay good money for a bag of feed I want fresh, wholesome feed, not a bunch of webs, moths, larvae and bugs and all their poop!

Quote:
roll.png
Yeah, I wish I had that option. It just so happens that they're the closest and have the best prices. I do not have any extra time or money to spare, to drive further & pay more. I will have to continue to go there, and be pleasant & professional, and hope they will do the same. I will inspect the bags of feed I get before I leave the lot. I made a note on my calendar of the date I made that last return, so if I do ever have to make another I can say "I don't "always" return feed, the last time was..."

Back
Top Bottom