Do butchers do it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Super Admin, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Super Admin

Super Admin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2006
    We do not have to heart to butcher our chickens [​IMG] , but is it possible to find a butcher in your area that will do it for you? I know people that do it for deer or other game. What is this called? Thanks

2. tuffolbird

tuffolbird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    They are called poultry processors. Ask on this fourm about processors in your area. Word of mouth, if you know others that raise meat birds. Local co-op maybe.

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    you want to find someone who does "meat processing". Poultry requires a special license seperate from other meat. I know in WV we only have one in the whole state that does processing for the public. If you contact your dept of agriculture they may be able to help you find one.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Your County Extension office should be able to tell you where to find processors.

Doing them at home yourself, is probably less stressful on the birds than getting crated up and hauled off to the processor. As a strictly practical matter, they end up dead and in the freezer either way, but it costs a lot more to have it done. But good luck, try the Extension office, Chamber of Commerce for your county might have some info, too.

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I know here in Canada it's hard to find someone who will do it for the public.. We were able to find someone who does it out've there house.. No licence though.. Once the avian flu came through, there was a law passed that says you have to do it yourself, as not to possibley spread it... A freind gave me the num, to the people who do it for us.. Thinking you'll have to find someone through word of mouth.. We get charged $3.25 a bird/cash.. Will do it ourselves next time.. good-luck

6. seramas

seramas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    In our area the Amish do fantastic job of it. Most charge $2 each. Be sure to ask that the heart/liver/gizzard is saved if you like them.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Amish did mine for 1.50.

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Wish we had Amish people around here! I know where's there some like 10 min. across the bridge (Canada/USA) But I'm thinking the boarders guards wouldn't be cool with this... Wonder why we sledom see Amish here in Canada?

9. Super Admin

Super Admin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2006
    Thanks guys, we will look around. I wish we had amish around here in Plymouth MA.

10. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

google poultry processors or custom poultry processors...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by