Do butchers do it?

Super Admin

Chirping
13 Years
Dec 26, 2006
We do not have to heart to butcher our chickens
sickbyc.gif
, but is it possible to find a butcher in your area that will do it for you? I know people that do it for deer or other game. What is this called? Thanks

They are called poultry processors. Ask on this fourm about processors in your area. Word of mouth, if you know others that raise meat birds. Local co-op maybe.

you want to find someone who does "meat processing". Poultry requires a special license seperate from other meat. I know in WV we only have one in the whole state that does processing for the public. If you contact your dept of agriculture they may be able to help you find one.

Your County Extension office should be able to tell you where to find processors.

Doing them at home yourself, is probably less stressful on the birds than getting crated up and hauled off to the processor. As a strictly practical matter, they end up dead and in the freezer either way, but it costs a lot more to have it done. But good luck, try the Extension office, Chamber of Commerce for your county might have some info, too.

I know here in Canada it's hard to find someone who will do it for the public.. We were able to find someone who does it out've there house.. No licence though.. Once the avian flu came through, there was a law passed that says you have to do it yourself, as not to possibley spread it... A freind gave me the num, to the people who do it for us.. Thinking you'll have to find someone through word of mouth.. We get charged $3.25 a bird/cash.. Will do it ourselves next time.. good-luck

In our area the Amish do fantastic job of it. Most charge $2 each. Be sure to ask that the heart/liver/gizzard is saved if you like them.

Wish we had Amish people around here! I know where's there some like 10 min. across the bridge (Canada/USA) But I'm thinking the boarders guards wouldn't be cool with this... Wonder why we sledom see Amish here in Canada?

Back
Top Bottom