Do button quails produce cecal poop like coturnix?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Do button quails produce cecal poop like coturnix quails? I want to keep some as indoor pets. I read that pigeons and doves don't produce cecal poop. What about button quails?

Do button quails produce cecal poop like coturnix quails? I want to keep some as indoor pets. I read that pigeons and doves don't produce cecal poop. What about button quails?
I'm not sure about cecal poop specifically, but their stool does stink if it get smushed. Otherwise, it's tolerable- especially if you clean out the cage often. I have 12 indoors in 3 different enclosures and they don't produce much of a smell. You will likely need to pad the lid/top of whatever enclosure you get for them though as they have a tendency to give themselves concussions

Passerines, song birds, produce what is known as cecal sacs. It's a thin membrane surrounding the cecal poop. This is an evolutionary adaptation of certain nesting birds, helps to keep the nest clean, the nesting birds well eat these sacs to eliminate the waste from the nest. Pigeons and doves do not have a cecum, therefore do not have cecal poop.

Now, to answer your question; " Do button quail produce cecal poop like Coturnix quail?" The answer is; "Yes".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom