Do capons crow?

I am pretty new to the chicken thing and sofar rooster have been eaten once making noise and never had a capon BUT I wonder if the crowing thing is sort of like with dogs, if you get them neutered before they begin leg lifting they often don't start leg lifting, but if you neuter them later and the behavior has begun memory can make it continue rather than hormones.

I know it's been a long time since this thread has started but just as an FYI some capons will eventually start crowing. I've read that they don't depending on how early you caponize them but I did mine roughly between 5-8 weeks and one of them just started to crow at 8 months. The others never made it this far... The slips continued to grow as if they were in tact so they crowed around 4 or 5 months and is now in freezer camp for rehabilitation. I haven't tried to see if they will crow if there are no other roosters in the area. Roosters crow to show dominance and let other roosters know whose territory it is along with attracting other females in the area. I believe if other roos are crowing nearby they have a higher tendency do it also. I hope this helps.

I'm having same problem with my little man I hatched him and he's so affectionate and just great I tried the no crow collar iv only put it on a few time's he doesn't like it and runs backwards also he tries remove it and gets lower beak stuck in it I don't know what to do. I followed instructions but if I left him unattended he could injure himself I'm sure. Did you have your roo caponized? Did it stop crowing? I don't eat animals or want rid of him in any way. He's my little friend. Just want to keep him a bit quieter on mornings for the neighbours. Hope everything went well for ya

I had pet chickens as a child in the 70's before all the town rules, my father built a chicken coop uncomfortably close to my parents bedroom and my mom hated to be woken up. She had grown up on a farm, though so was familiar with the problem. She just built a small chicken house with a lid that could be closed every night and then the chickens did not get up and crow until she or I let them out. It was a simple box like affair, open on one side with a simple plank like lid. It was my job to go out and make sure the lid was on before going to bed at night and let them out in the morning. And there was hell to pay if I forgot! We had the chickens for years, and for various reasons had more roosters than hens all the time. They were Chinese Silkies and I had one that was a particular pet named "Feathered Friend" who won 1st prize in the annual pet parade at Christmas. He was quite tame and probably won because he stayed in the doll buggy when I wheeled him down the street without being secured. He rode in the doll buggy a lot, since I had him from a tiny chick. Also he was a really beautiful and unusual looking bird, not often seen at the time. I just read a link the other day that recommended caponizing male chickens because they are useful for brooding hatchery or incubator chicks as well as less crowing and aggression. I will try to find it again and repost it here. I know a lot of people want to keep their pet chicken that turned out to be a rooster, just like I did. And these days, you can get a coop door that will automaticly open at a preset time, if you want to go with the chicken house approach.

Back
Top Bottom