Do Cats Eat Chickens?

Love how this thread seems to be kill everything that kills your chickens. let me know when you get caught shooting a bald eagle for been on your property.
Pen them well in the first place and avoid having conversations like this.
It's not just penning them. i have all my bantams penned. Not because i want to, but because my neighbor has three cats that are constantly in my yard. They come and stare into the pens and unnerve my chickens. i don't shoot them, but shoo them away, or turn the sprinklers on them. When it got really bad once with one of the cats hanging in my yard, i took her to Animal Control (on the advice of Animal Control). The neighbors were mad as they had to bail her out and pay fines. Oh well. If i saw one of their cats actively trying to harm any of my animals, i would shoot, or do anything to protect my flock, and i love cats! i have cats of my own, in my house, protected from angry neighbors or hostile cats, or other predators.

Cats will kill chickens. Another neighbor's persian cat tried to snatch one of my Showgirls from right at my feet. i screamed and scared the cat, which was what saved my girls. So i don't and won't trust any cat, no matter how pretty, with my precious chickens. Sorry. My birds come first on my own property.

Last edited:
You know it had never crossed my mind to worry about cats. We have a few in our street but I've never seen one in our yard. I let my chickens free range in our yard.

I probably should have I guess. When we were kids our cat brought home a bandicoot so they can kill things bigger than rats.

Last edited:
Love how this thread seems to be kill everything that kills your chickens. let me know when you get caught shooting a bald eagle for been on your property.
Pen them well in the first place and avoid having conversations like this.

Well, hawks and eagles are different. It's illegal, so saying that was unnecessary. That and may I ask, how many people complain about bald eagles eating their chickens?
But anywho, we have a great system for our chicks. Fox proof, but the fox still sniffs around and we still try and shoot him (BB gun to scare). Because a weak spot we didn't notice can be a fox sniffing around, to every single dead chicken. Ravens fairly easy. Mostly have to watch out in winter, since they need more protein then,
But like I said, free ranging your chicks comes at a cost, weather it's willing to put your chickens in vulnerability for hawks, or killing a cat.
Sometimes there's no other way. Like say a bear, tell me how to bear proof my chicken coop since we do have some that live 'round here, since you seem to think just penning them up makes them invincible,

Last edited:
Funny you should mention, my neighbors tomcat comes to our house to shop for meals....chicks, banties, hummingbirds, chipmunks, mice, moles, so I let my dog out one time and she chased the cat over the fence and out of the yard. Never so proud of my dog inmy life. She didn't hurt the cat, just let him know not welcome. Poor defenseless critters don't need cat here.

I have several acres of land, nice coops and runs for my birds to keep them safe at night. I don't believe for a minute I should have to deprive my flock from a little free range time each day to do what they love to do. If a neighbor is careless enough to let their cats roam on other peoples property than too bad for their dead cat. First time I see the cat I'll let you know, see it again it is dead. I have lost 14 cats last year and 3 this year. My neighbor at the end of the lane has cats that have never been to a vet, multiply like rabbits and she doesn't even buy them cat food. Only after begging her to please feed her cats or better yet keep them in she said "they eat the dogs food when my husband isn't home and I'm allowed to let them in the house". I told her that I would not tolerate any more kills and she says do what you have to do just don't kill the kittys. Long story short I killed all the big cats and left 2 kittens live last year. Now this year so far they have killed 3 of mine & countless number of my other neighbors animals. So one cat down this year and one Final cat to go!!! Yes I could call animal control but why put the cat and myself through all that. Besides I am busy cleaning all the bird body parts up that the cats have scattered and cleaning the blood bath coops and runs because now the scent of dead is in the air and every raccoon and possum in the area is on their way so my beautiful birds once again after being terrorized is on a 2 week lock down. All of this after I fetch most from the trees because they no longer feel safe. This isn't a personal attack for cats, it is their human owners that are completely irresponsible. So if you cat is killing your neighbors anything YOU are to BLAME!!!!

Are you sure we dlon't have the same neighbor? Mine said he would shoot my dog if he caught her on his property killing his chickens (as if she would, that would require too much effort on her part) yet his Tomcat is down here at my house several times a week. I used to like cats before, his cat is curing that fast though.

I have several acres of land, nice coops and runs for my birds to keep them safe at night. I don't believe for a minute I should have to deprive my flock from a little free range time each day to do what they love to do. If a neighbor is careless enough to let their cats roam on other peoples property than too bad for their dead cat. First time I see the cat I'll let you know, see it again it is dead. I have lost 14 cats last year and 3 this year. My neighbor at the end of the lane has cats that have never been to a vet, multiply like rabbits and she doesn't even buy them cat food. Only after begging her to please feed her cats or better yet keep them in she said "they eat the dogs food when my husband isn't home and I'm allowed to let them in the house". I told her that I would not tolerate any more kills and she says do what you have to do just don't kill the kittys. Long story short I killed all the big cats and left 2 kittens live last year. Now this year so far they have killed 3 of mine & countless number of my other neighbors animals. So one cat down this year and one Final cat to go!!! Yes I could call animal control but why put the cat and myself through all that. Besides I am busy cleaning all the bird body parts up that the cats have scattered and cleaning the blood bath coops and runs because now the scent of dead is in the air and every raccoon and possum in the area is on their way so my beautiful birds once again after being terrorized is on a 2 week lock down. All of this after I fetch most from the trees because they no longer feel safe. This isn't a personal attack for cats, it is their human owners that are completely irresponsible. So if you cat is killing your neighbors anything YOU are to BLAME!!!!
OOPS I meant to write I had 14 birds(not cats) killed last year and 3 this year

I completely agree. And not just chickens are c oncerned. If a person has an animal then they should be responsible for it. I just got back in the house fromrunning my neighbors tomcat off AGAIN. Third time this week that I know of. I have my babies locked up like fort knox. their run is covered in screen. I take them out several times a day for playtime. Supervised only. But my two big girls are out all the time. I don't have anywhere to put them yet. The coop and run aren't big enough to hold them and they would wind up killing the babies. Next payday i am investing in an outdoor run big enough for all. The big hens have been outdoors their whole life. In fact, they came from the tomcats house. They are pretty savvy.They are the ones that alert me to the cats presence inthe yard. All Ican do for right now until I get the outdoor pen built is keep the grass short so cat can't ambush hens and check on them a lot. I have chased stupid cat off with dog plenty but he doesn't get it. So mad at him.

I completely agree. And not just chickens are c oncerned. If a person has an animal then they should be responsible for it. I just got back in the house fromrunning my neighbors tomcat off AGAIN. Third time this week that I know of. I have my babies locked up like fort knox. their run is covered in screen. I take them out several times a day for playtime. Supervised only. But my two big girls are out all the time. I don't have anywhere to put them yet. The coop and run aren't big enough to hold them and they would wind up killing the babies. Next payday i am investing in an outdoor run big enough for all. The big hens have been outdoors their whole life. In fact, they came from the tomcats house. They are pretty savvy.They are the ones that alert me to the cats presence inthe yard. All Ican do for right now until I get the outdoor pen built is keep the grass short so cat can't ambush hens and check on them a lot. I have chased stupid cat off with dog plenty but he doesn't get it. So mad at him.
Have you talked with his owner? He would've been dead a long time ago here!

Back
Top Bottom