Do chicken recognize their owners?

My ladies definately know me, they fuss to be let out and then just follow me and sit on my back door step and watch whats happening inside. Sometimes I forget to put up the chicken-gate at the door and I turn around and they're in the house!

At the start they would hide from my family when they came round to visit but now they will play in the yard while they're there. They hide from my grandfather though, I assume it's his walking stick that bothers them!

My girls treat every visitor as a potential treat-giver and come closer, but they hang back a bit until they're sure that person is actually carrying something that may be edible. (They've been known to help themselves to treats right out of unsuspecting visitor's hands - try smoothing that over when the neighbor kid loses their ice cream bar to my greedy gluttons.) With me, they come right up to my feet regardless of whether I'm actually carrying anything. So I'm pretty sure they know me by sight.

When they first left my house for their lives outside, I "trained" all my chickens for a couple of weeks by hand-feeding them treats and saying "chick-chick" the whole time like a crazy person
lau.gif
. Now, just me saying "chick-chick" as I go into the yard gets them running to greet me, even if they're off somewhere and don't see me come out. They don't respond this way to my kids, even when they call "chick-chick" in the yard. So I'm pretty sure they know my voice as well.

Last edited:
absolutly! Mine hear me from across the acre yard and come running! If its just my kids or other adults they stay put and dont even stop pecking at the gound :) I feel loved ;)

My hens had no problem with my elderly dog, who wished that the chickens would back off and give some room in her old age, but when I eventually got a new dog months after my Abby passed on, boy, did the chickens let me know how ****** they were! Not happy with new dog at all. They eventually got used to her...but then 6 months later, I got another dog the same size and shape. new dog would run past coop, no one said anything. It took a few weeks before BOTH dogs were in same place, same time, and then the chickens freaked out! After they fianlly accepted that there were now TWO white dogs in yard, they don't care any more. So yes, they really are paying attention.

My chickens know me.... they mostly have names and respond to my calling them by name..... the name call every evening is met by the responding chicken raising its head in acknowledgement of my call.........

yeah im not saying they dont no names but in the post she said she was weiring a red top.my hens come to me all the time they follow me around and when i call them they allways come they jump up and down and be flapping there wings
D.gif

Yea my chickens know me. Whenever I go to their coop I say "hey girls" and they come running to the door. Mine seem to like the color blue. They are wonderful girls.

I think they recognize the one who feeds them the most. I have coffee every day with my hens and roo and they come running every time they see me, but then I usually always have a little something for them;-)

Back
Top Bottom