Do Chickens Care What Color The Inside Of Their Home Is?

rhschulz2000

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
I am building a 10' x 12' chicken coop and plan to paint the inside. I know the inside of the nests need to be dark, but has anyone heard or had experience whether chickens prefer certain colors or even light versus dark shades?

Thanks for responding to this post.

welcome-byc.gif
from Long Island!
I know some birds hate the color red.
Maybe look up the feng shui colors?

I myself would not paint the inside. I would leave it plain. I had a painted ramp that was for the nest boxes and eventually the paint got old and started to flake. Those chickens must of got bored or something but they started pecking at the flakes. I didn't want to take a chance of them eating it so I
sanded the ramp down.

The only thing I've heard is that white paint and bright light are hard on their eyes. Of course it looks nice when it's clean, but how long does anything stay clean with chickens around?

No. Chickens don't care.

I, on the other hand,do care. I painted my walk-in coops with light colors so I could see chicken shapes at night with very little illumination. There are times when you need to check 'em out, or move them for some reason,and it is a whole lot easier to do this when they are on the roost sleeping. A small flashlight, with dark walls, won't give you the view you need.

Just sayin'....

"No red It will drive them mad" some say, well I don't think they care, it just takes getting used to, I paint light so in winter it is the brightest it can be, encourages laying
smile.png

I paint the inside of mine a white or off white because it helps reflect light and I think helps a little with the egg laying during the drearier months. It would probably be good to paint it a darker color from the roost down and a lighter color at the top. That way the poop stains won't be as noticeable. I'm thinking about doing my new breeding coops this way. I noticed that the whiter walls show more poop stains toward the bottom.

I don't think my girls care what color is in their coop. I agree with the light color as it is easier to see them at night without turning on their light.

The green is called Lettuce Alone and the trim color is Soft Amethyst
66234_img_0843.jpg

My bare wall needed something so...
66234_img_2742.jpg

I started a mural and need to finish it!
66234_img_3380.jpg

The nest boxes are also painted the Soft Amethyst and the girls don't seem to mind not having a dark color.
66234_img_5036.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow! That's nicer than MY house....

Thank you....much nicer than mine as well!!! My girls are lucky that they have a housekeeper to keep up their house. Now if only someone would clean mine for me! LOL My thoughts when building this was that if we were to ever move the coop could be converted into a play house or shed.

66234_img_5400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom