Do chickens drink at night?

Thanks y'all, all of y'all are a wild and crazy bunch.
lau.gif
, but I would not know what to do with out your expertise.

"mdbucks
Do chickens drink at night?nccountrygirl wrote:
water I mean,

You had to put the water part I read the title and my mind started thinking, but NO you had to add the water line, Maybe next time. "

I am so slow I totally missed that, how funny, good catch mdbucks!! All that drinking at night is probably why they have so much trouble crossing the road!!
smile.png

For a month or so, I kept water in the coop and fed in the run, until I read BeckyLa's post that she did the opposite and her reasons.

Now I keep food in the coop (to keep food dry) and water outside (unless weather is REALLY bad - to keep the coop dry).

They don't go in until they are ready to roost, and so eat very little at night. But when I let them out in the morning, most times they congregate at a water source and drink for a few minutes first thing.

I prefer it this way tho, to keep the coop dry. I think in my case, that would contribute a lot more to their health than having access to water at night.

trish

I have my food and water inside the coop. The girls come back to the coop several times during the day, for food and water. When they come in to roost at night, they definitely all fill up on food and water, before they get on the roost. They also get up very early to eat and drink, before the door opens.

I don't think they get up to eat or drink during the night, though. I can't really see anything after the light goes out, but I know it's very quiet during the night. I like to keep the sound turned up on the coop cam, in case there's any trouble in the coop.

When we used a tractor for the pullets during the warmer months this year, I think their behavior was similar. Their food and water was in the covered run portion of the tractor and there was an open doorway to the housing area where they roosted. They just ate and drank in the run area, before going in to roost.

Quote:
I think that is called standing around the water Cooler, and they were probably badmouthing you for letting them out late, AND not giving them anything to drink at night.
lau.gif
th.gif

yuckyuck.gif

LOL, THAT had me laughing.
lau.gif

Ummm ... I think they are badmouthing the ducks. Or badmouthing the ducks AND me for letting them be close together.

They both want the same water trough ... ducks for swimming, chickens for drinking. Doesn't matter when there are 4 different water sources ... they still want the SAME one.

trish

Water only - how boring.

Do city chickens drink Manhattans, and south Texas chickens drink Margaritas? Northern California chickens drink pinot noir? Massachusetts chickens drink Sam Adams beer.

They slug back the Boone's Farm and the Jim Beam here is the south!! If they aren't careful they will get a CUI too --"Clucking under the Influence"!!

yes, I guess I am at my corny best today, sorry!!

Quote:
We have water and food in their run and also in the coop. Mine do the same thing. We put the light on in the coop at dusk, if I'm around they will free range supervised (b/c hawks) then they file into the coop and have a snack of food and water before they get settled to roost. I turn out the light and everything is usually quiet, but I'm not around to watch them during the night, so I have no idea.

Yea! You got your camera working. I would love one.
Didn't you order an auto door also? I would love both of them. How are they working out for you?

Back
Top Bottom