Do chickens eat ants?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lori Anne, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Caleb999

Caleb999 Chillin' With My Peeps

When my RIR's see an ant hill, they'll scratch it to nothing and eat everything that's moves.

2. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    i have 6 different types of chickens and i have no dirt we live on sand and my backyard is one big ant hill. i was also hoping they would eat ants,,,BUT NOPE they don't touch them...

1 person likes this.
  3. mcbrown7513

mcbrown7513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    I have 1.5 acres of sand and red clay. Try bribing your ladies like I did. I also have a mix of ants and all are on the menu now. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Bribed my with scratch it was still a no we wont eat those even after i destoryed the nest. We have fire ants of two different kinds small and large and they wont mess with either to my dismay.

5. mcbrown7513

mcbrown7513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a solution. God bless.

6. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    So k i was give a ideal on how to get rid of them i am going to try it and pray it works.God Bless you as well[​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Fire ants[​IMG]... who can blame them? However, I found my girls working a yellow jacket nest yesterday. I had a lot of ant colonies in my back yard. Every summer, I open the hills with a shovel. The ants come pouring out, and there will also be hordes of winged queens, lots of larvae and eggs. When I open a nest, there's a feeding frenzy. Hubby doesn't much like it when he comes home and sees the back yard turned into a moon scape! But... while hubby's away, the girls and I will play! ("Sorry Honey. We're just getting rid of those pesky ants so they won't get in the house.") To anyone who's birds won't eat ants (excluding fire ants), I suggest that you remove their feed, and let them forage for insects in the morning. Hungry birds are more apt to try new food experiences.

FYI, since the ant population, and most likely the overall insect population has decreased in my yard, [​IMG]there are no where near as many dragon flies dancing in my yard as there used to be.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    If anyone has ant, termite, or any other bug problem, this is the stuff for you. You need to get one of those plastic pump up sprayers from the hardware store. I think it's one or two ounces per gallon of water.
    I spray ant hills with it, and 24 hours later they look like a ghost town.
    I use this stuff around all my doors and thresholds. Any bug that crosses it is toast in a short matter of time.
    Beware not to use this around ponds as it is highly toxic to aquatic life.
    It is also safe to use indoors.

This is the same stuff my professional exterminator used in my restaurant.

9. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Is it safe around livestock chickens, cows and what about cats and dogs and children and pregnant women?

1 person likes this.
  10. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    You'd probably have to read the safety (MDS) sheet. I think it's on that site somewhere.
    It hasn't killed my dog. And I have no pregnant women.
    But my exterminator said it's very safe. To prove it, he sprayed some on a slice of bread and ate it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by