Do chickens eat shasta viburnum?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I want to plant another shrub in the chicken run, ideally something they're not going to eat. I have forsythias right now, but their bottom couple of feet are naked as the hens have eaten everything they can reach. I read somewhere that chickens don't eat viburnum shrubs, but that's a very large and diverse group of plants. So I was wondering if anybody had any experience with shasta viburnums specifically. I'll put chicken wire around the new plant to protect it, but when it eventually branches out, I don't want the chickens jumping and plucking leaves from it...

1651593597242.png
1651593608862.png

I'm only getting one bush, so probably won't have berries. I just care about the leaves anyway, they can eat the berries if I get any. Do yours leave the leaves alone?
I only have one bush and it produces berries.
They are currently picking the buds off that they can reach so I don't know how it's going to come in this year.
The little heathens are hard on landscape plants. They managed to dig up and tip over a 4+ ft tall blue point juniper I transplanted in there last fall. I'm going to try to save it by circling the base with chicken wire after I replant it.

I only have one bush and it produces berries.
They are currently picking the buds off that they can reach so I don't know how it's going to come in this year.
The little heathens are hard on landscape plants. They managed to dig up and tip over a 4+ ft tall blue point juniper I transplanted in there last fall. I'm going to try to save it by circling the base with chicken wire after I replant it.
They are quite merciless... Maybe I should get a fake plant instead 🤔 I have fake ivy on the back two walls of the run, it looks nice enough and they leave it alone. I just wanted to give them another bush, because they like hanging out under the existing couple of bushes. There just isn't much left to hang out under, the poor things look like skeletons with mohawks.

Back
Top Bottom