Do chicken's eggs ever change color?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Ok so I'm a bit confused, I had my first egg laid yesterday and it was a small white egg, barely bigger than a golf ball. Well today I was trying to teach her to use the nesting box so I locked her in the run with 3 of her flockmates. So I left her out there for about 4 hours and I go to check and what do I find? A brown egg that's roughly the same size as the white egg I got yesterday. The white egg I got was from a white leghorn and out of the 4 chickens in the run today three of them were brown egg layers... but I never got another white egg. Can chickens lay different colored eggs or did one of my other girls begin laying today? Seems like quite the coincidence my first hen began laying yesterday and the next starts today.

No... an individual chicken will always lay only one color of egg. You have two layers!
95611_celebrate.jpg

Yup the shade of a color might get lighter but they always lay the same color. You have two layers! Congrats!
big_smile.png
It is not unusual for a new layer to not lay every day either. It takes a while for them to get going and even once they are laying regularly they will skip a day here and there.

Awesome, thanks a lot, guys. I just poked my head out there and the white leghorn was hunkered down in the nesting box. Now I just can't wait till my easter eggers start plopping out green eggs.

I have the problem of the girls wanting the same next box. I have four next boxes in my coop..they all want the middle one. So, three today that are just starting to lay are all in the coop making noises like someone or something is trying to kill them. Oh boy, I'm lucky I have good neighbors. I'll be glad when they figure this out. I am pretty excited that they are starting to lay. I have a beautiful blue I got from dsgard that is turning quite pink in the comb and wattles, and she is starting to squat. I'm wondering if she will lay sooner than I was expecting because of all of this. She will be 18 weeks on the 10th, 20 weeks on the 24th. Can't wait to see the color of her egg!

I have one white leghorn..= white egg..

I have 3 barred rocks..= 3 brown eggs right! wrong...
ep.gif

one of my barred rocks isn't a barred rock, she is a barred Holland and she lays a pretty white egg..
clap.gif
. this also makes the tiny differences i have noticed in her make sense now.. you may have a different breed just like i did..

I also won a pair of barred rocks..
celebrate.gif
... Nope... he's a barred rock , which is good but she is a Dominique.
idunno.gif
so where I thought i had 4 barred rock hens and a roo.. I have only 2 barred rocks and a roo. 1 Holland and one dom... maybe really look at yours and then start researching...
caf.gif

good luck and blessed be )O(
Pink

Back
Top Bottom