Do chickens ever peck at eyes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harvster, May 21, 2011.

1. harvster

harvster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    SE PA
    Should I be concerned about my young kids putting their faces close to them? (chicks are 6 weeks old)

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    It doesn't matter how old they are, if they peck your kids eyes and they will, that will hurt.

3. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I read fairly recently on these forums where someone had cornea damage following an eye peck. One of my chickens went for my eyes the other day. Scary! I tell the kids to not put their faces close.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes, they peck at eyes.

5. harvster

harvster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    SE PA
    I figured they did. Mine haven't attempted it so I wasn't sure, but I keep telling the kids to keep their faces away. Thanks for the replies.[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did bears poo in the woods?? Oh yes, they love sparkly eyes - wear safety goggles

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. A few years ago, a young cockerel got curious when I was close and decided to munch on the interesting, glossy, moving object. I was 13 at the time...had to go to the doctor for it (I'll spare you the details). It was pretty embarrassing to explain how it happened. [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They go for shiny things like eyes, glasses, jewelry, toenails, etc. For that reason, I never let them near my face anymore.

ETA, I learned the hard way, scratched corneas hurt!

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  9. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to let them sit on your shoulder either. That puts them even closer to your eyeball.

10. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

It's a good thing I wear glasses, but I have never had a chick or chicken go for my eyes...yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by