Do chickens feel sad?

m1marin

Songster
5 Years
Nov 2, 2016
San Leandro
On Tuesday we had to say goodbye to our sweet girl Henrietta. He sister Della is the last remaining of the 3 original hens. They were together from the day we brought them home 3 years ago. As they matured their pecking order emerged, but they always remained sisters.

We have raised our chickens as pets and not livestock. We’ve grown close to them because we spend so much time with them in the yard, and we see them each as individuals with unique personalities. So it’s no surprise to me how hard it hits us when we lose a hen.

We’ve come to appreciate that chickens are certainly aware of themselves – more so than a non-chicken owner would realize. It’s also easy to anthropomorphize your chickens when you get close to them as pets. (A mistake perhaps?) This brings up my question for others here. Do chickens feel the loss of another hen?

This morning we heard Della make a vocalization we’ve never, ever heard. It was like a warning call, but the pitch was high then low. None of the other hens reacted to it at all which makes me believe it was definitely not a warning call. Could it have been a call out for her sister Henrietta?

Chickens are creatures of habit & routine, and they notice change. Especially when something new is introduced into their environment. But how much do chickens notice when something has been removed? For example, how much do they notice when a member of their flock is gone?

Thankfully Della still has plenty of company with the 3 other grown up hens she raised for us. She'll be in good company hopefully for a long time.

Here's the 3 originals: Della and Henrietta and Nikki. Della is the white hen, Henrietta is the GLW, and Nikki is the BSL.
IMG_20170220_140437.jpg

So sorry for your loss :hugs
As im sure, most people who raise chickens will agree-- they absolutely do notice. And yes, i believe they do have emotions and do feel sad.
I had to remove a cockerel from my flock due to being in a residential area, and my girls spent weeks waiting and mourning for him. Thankfully he is alive and well on a property where he is well taken care of. But all they know is that they lost a buddy. Would they remember him if i brought him back? Im not sure. They are adults now and a lot of time has passed....
I wholeheartedly believe your hen is wondering where her friend went. It will pass, eventually:old

Chickens are social, and it's not unreasonable to think that social animals would notice and not like a companion's absence. Crows and ravens are known to mourn their dead.
And yes, chickens have emotions. Many animals do, as far as anyone can tell.

Yes.I originally had a two RIR sisters who stuck together like glue, out of ten birds they remained paired out.One day the sister died and the other one just sat alone, her whole demeanor changed, and she became quite and much more “Unlike” herself.

Yes.I originally had a two RIR sisters who stuck together like glue, out of ten birds they remained paired out.One day the sister died and the other one just sat alone, her whole demeanor changed, and she became quite and much more “Unlike” herself.

I'm sorry for your loss. I do believe that they notice when another is missing. My girls are pets, too. I had my favorite killed recently and one of the survivors has called out every night at dusk. As chicks, they used to call for each other if they left the brooder at night so I think she's calling for her dead brood mate.

Back
Top Bottom