Do chickens get fatty tumors?

Yep it could be all the treats just making her extra plump like rebrascora said. Easy enough to fix. Sometimes limiting thier feed makes them less picky for the grains because they're eating more dinner and less dessert
1f60a.png

After reading the thread by Two Crows about crops I suddenly had an apiphany.
I believe that this hen first developed slow crop (without our knowledge due to being ignorant of this condition), which eventually became sour crop. She, and another Buckeye that we have, have these enormous pendulus crops by the end of the day. I believe that this has weakened the muscles within the crop causing slow crop. None of our other hens have such huge crops.
I'm going to see if I can buy a crop bra for the other Buckeye today.

Last edited:
Do you think that the pale liver could be fatty liver? She had an enormous fat deposit in her abdomen. Would that cause liver failure along with slow crop?

I'm hoping that she didn't get into something that could have poisoned her.
Something like fatty liver could sure could have caused the crop problem. Often when birds are sick their crops don't clear as quickly, and once the dying process starts, they don't clear at all.

-Kathy

This hen, along with another Buckey hen, have huge bulging crops by the end of the day. Do you thing that they are developing slow crop, due to the stretching of the crop? Should I invest in a crop bra for the remaining hen? Our hens get quite a bit of scratch every day. Unfortunately, we end up throwing them some every time we try to get the car out of the garage. Wheneveer they hear us leave the house they come running. They are also attracted to the sould of car engines, doors, the garage door opening, etc. We are going to have to find some other way to get them out of harms way. Too much fatty grain.

If we discontinue the scratch, or at least limit it to once a day, will the fat deposits shrink? (I find it hard to believe that no other bird has it) I don't want any other hens ending up like this hen.

This hen, along with another Buckey hen, have huge bulging crops by the end of the day. Do you thing that they are developing slow crop, due to the stretching of the crop? Should I invest in a crop bra for the remaining hen? Our hens get quite a bit of scratch every day. Unfortunately, we end up throwing them some every time we try to get the car out of the garage. Wheneveer they hear us leave the house they come running. They are also attracted to the sould of car engines, doors, the garage door opening, etc. We are going to have to find some other way to get them out of harms way. Too much fatty grain.

If we discontinue the scratch, or at least limit it to once a day, will the fat deposits shrink? (I find it hard to believe that no other bird has it) I don't want any other hens ending up like this hen.
Try kale or squash? Too much grain is what can lead to fatty liver, so best to cut way back on that. The ones with the big crops, are they normal in the morning?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Also, my husband came down with the flu when the hen died. I asked him to do a necropsy on her, but he was feeling so ill that he bagged her up and stuck her in an old frige of ours until a week later. Could having her in the frige for a week have caused the liver to pale?

Back
Top Bottom