Do Chickens Get Fleas? Pic Provided!!

briter30

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
I currently have 3 Easter Eggers chickens. We were wanting to get a few more. One chicken we were interested in was off Craigslist. The chicken we were interested in was a Frizzle Chicken (when their feathers grow backwards.) I thought that was different and pretty cool. So when we got there to purchase a chicken from her frizzled flock, I noticed that some of the chickens did not have feathers around the face. I figured it was just a trait of the Frizzle chicken (and it may be.) The children picked out a chicken they and passed it back and forth. I made the mistake of not doing an inspection on the chicken. Upon bringing the chicken home, I was able to quickly see that the chicken has parasites on its face. Does anyone know what type of parasite it is and what to do about it? How long until they go away?
91895_mrs_frizzle.jpg

Are you referring to the dark spots on her face? Are they moving around? One would assume that if there are mites or lice on her face, they would be on her body too. Sevin dust? DE perhaps, but be careful not to get the dust in her eyes and nose. If you put it on her body, she will probably get it on her face by herself, preening and cleaning.

The parasites are not moving. They are sucking her blood like a flea would that is attached to a dog.

They are some kind of tick. My cat gets them in her ears. I just pull them off with a pair of tweezers then pinch them (with said tweezers) 'til they pop. At least they look to be the same thing.
hu.gif

How do you recommend putting the seven dust on? I will have to go to the store and buy some. Anybody else tried vasaline?

Here, this thread should help you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7513787
And
this info on stick tight flea's: http://pestcemetery.com/sticktight-fleas-the-eyes-have-it/

The
parasites you are dealing with are called stick tight flea's.
They are a type of flea that prefers the face of animals.
They can get on humans, cats, dogs, etc.
So wear gloves when dealing with them.
Definitely dust them, get the dust all through there feathers, try to avoid the face.
Just put Vaseline on the face not the powder on the face.

Last edited:
Uh oh. That looks like mites to me. If you do a search on the forum there are lots of ways to treat for them. Chemical and organic. Bless their hearts. They've got to be miserable.

Back
Top Bottom