Do chickens get jealous?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pauleberly, Jul 28, 2016.

1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Yesterday, I went into the coop and was petting my sexlinks and marans. Now my sexlinks are always friendly, and one particular hen was especially affectionate.

My silkies are just starting to let me pet them. I got ahold of one of them and gave her a couple of pets

Next thing I know, that over affection sexlink and silkie are fighting all over the run. Now after it was all said and done, that sexlink came back up to me with a mouthful of feathers and wanting petted again.

Was she jealous I was petting the silkie, or was she trying to defend me from the silkie? Also I couldn't believe how well that silkie stood up for herself! I was impressed.

2. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    My chickens do get jealous of each other some times. Once I was holding one of my Barred Rocks, Marble, when one of my Australorps, Peppa, flew on to my arm and knocked Marble off! If you don't call that jealousy, I don't know what is!

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

No chickens do not think like people....It is pecking order and who is getting all the treats.....Lots of people try to humanise their chickens, at the end of the day....Still Chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    BINGO.

5. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    so in this case, was the treat me petting her?

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Yes, if she likes getting petted then no one below her on the pecking order gets to cut in line.

7. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Ok. I was doing rounds and she seems to keep coming back for more. it was weird because I also petted all the other chickens, but she chose the silkie to fight with lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by