Do chickens greive?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara_leigh, Jun 8, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    My 2nd chick died overnight. My remaining chick has been freaking out ALL day long. Constant loud chirping, almost to a panic, especially if it is in its box. The only time it has been quasi calm is when I'm holding it or it is burrowed in my hair on my shoulder. I've been taking it to the bathroom with me (setting it on the counter), setting it on the window sill in front of me while I did the dishes tonight, etc, etc. I'll be picking up a mirror tomorrow, but until then is there anything else I can do? This thing is LOUD!! It also has not slept all day long, so I'm sure it is exhausted, poor thing. It is currently snuggled up in my hair between the back of my neck and the sofa. Luckily its poops are nice and firm so they are easy to clean up. haha I can't sleep with the thing, so unfortunately it is going to have to deal on its own until tomorrow. I feel so bad that both of its friends died and now it is all alone. I put up an ad on Craigslist for a single chick of the same age to give it some company, but haven't received any replies.

2. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Try a feather duster (really) or a small stuffed toy animal in the box till she gets some new playmates.

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    YES chickens do grieve [​IMG]
    poor little guy. they will be loud cause they are trying to find their "family'
    If you put a stuffed animal in with it, (or even put an old t-shirt on the stuffed animal that has YOUR smell on it) it will help to calm them down.
    Once they figure out that the others will not come back, it will start to cope.
    Til then, give it extra TLC and some nice treats

best wishes,
    laura

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    They do grieve. My neighbor had a silkie roo and hen and the roo got killed and that silkie would sulk and cry and when u would pick her up she would coo and coo that it sounded like crying. he see u as his buddy. put him in a shoe box with a wash cloth in it for him to snuggle and a washcloth over the top and put him in bed with u. U will both get a lot more sleep if he is feeling safe.

5. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I put a rolled up washcloth in with it. We put it in the bedroom the box is normally kept in while we took a shower, and it finally stopped crying and went to sleep. I feel so terrible for the poor little thing. It is very sweet. The people we got our 5 week old chicks from have chicks that are the same age as this little guy, so we are hopefully going to be getting him a couple friends either tomorrow or Friday. Until then, it will be attached to my hip. I don't mind, it is going to end up being a pet chicken anyway, so I'm glad it is getting attached to me. [​IMG]

6. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Poor little sweetie !! How old is he/she? If it still young is it warm enough? Oh just remembered you said 5 weeks? What breed is it?
    Hoping you can get a few friends for him/her.

Good luck, would love to see pictures !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by