Do chickens have strokes?

222danette

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 5, 2014
Found my oldest barred rock (only 6yrs) on the floor of the coop this am flopping around, unable to right herself. She seems to have right wing and leg weakness, although she is able to move both. I separated her and tried to prop her upright in a box, offered her food and water. She won't stay put and keeps ending up on her back or right side. Do chickens have strokes? What can I do? How can I tell if it's a hip injury?

Thanks!

This sounds awful. None of my other chickens are showing signs - can I vaccinate them now? Do I need a prescription to buy the vaccine?

Also, her leg and wing are not paralyzed, but are not working right - does that make a difference?

Found my oldest barred rock (only 6yrs) on the floor of the coop this am flopping around, unable to right herself. She seems to have right wing and leg weakness, although she is able to move both. I separated her and tried to prop her upright in a box, offered her food and water. She won't stay put and keeps ending up on her back or right side. Do chickens have strokes? What can I do? How can I tell if it's a hip injury?

Thanks!
Do you have any photos of her and her poop?

When is the last time she laid an egg?

At 6 years of age, she may be having some reproductive issues or her age is catching up to her.
Feel her abdomen below the vet between her legs for bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid.

I would get some poultry vitamins into her that contain B2, B1 and E. Poultry Cell is a good choice.

It's possible she had a stroke. Chickens can have them the same as anything else. Marek's is not something that comes to mind at all in a 6 year old hen. The Marek's vaccine is generally administered at hatch, so no...I would not even consider vaccinating mature birds. The vaccine doesn't stop infection from the disease, it only helps stop the formation of tumors, so birds still get sick.

If you happen to lose her, getting necropsy from your state lab will give you answers.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Thanks!
I know this post is a few months old, but I'm wondering if you've gotten an answer to this. This sounds very similar to what's going on with one of my hens.

I know this post is a few months old, but I'm wondering if you've gotten an answer to this. This sounds very similar to what's going on with one of my hens.
Welcome To BYC

Do you have more info or photos of your hen you wish to share? The OP has not been active since last year, so they may not respond.
Photos and symptoms that you see may be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom