Do chickens have to be locked in their coop at night?

hawk

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
We have a small door for the chickens to go out of the coop and into a 3' by 8' fenced in area that is totally fenced in and preditor proof, do we need to lock them in the coop at night or can they always have access to the little run area?

Quote:
this means FORT KNOX proof. pit bull proof, raccoon proof, fox proof etc, etc, etc. If you feel that NOTHING could possibly get in your run and then to your coop then yes leave it open. I have FORT KNOX and I close it up every night.
I read recently about a pit bull having got through a chain link fence and killed someones chickens. THROUGH CHAIN LINK. yikes!

I am totally paranoid just so ya know...
Connie

I don't know of any pit bulls close by but we do have foxes, I don't know how hard a fox would work to get into it there were a couple 6" gaps I had to cover with chicken wire but we also have a very good blue heeler that hears the smallest noises at night so I think that helps.

I really can't imagine chickens utilizing the run at night, they are basically zombies after dusk until dawn. Locking them in the coop is the safest option.

You only lock the chickens in the coop that you want to be alive in the morning.

I also say this one at least 15 times a day.

Just floss the teeth you want to keep, don't worry about the other ones.

Quote:
I feel the SAME way!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom