1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do chickens just shut down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    It seems that ever since daylight savings time, some of our chickens completely quit laying. We went from 8 to 11 per day down to 1 to 5. We lost a nh red a while back and it seemed like after that they just shut down. The EE hasn't laid an egg for about 3 weeks. I know the loss of one and them not laying is just coincidence, right? Is it the cold and loss of daylight? Will they pick back up if I put a light in the coop?
    Please help me!!!!!!!!!

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My 3 easter eggers have stopped too. [​IMG] I've been buying eggs for the past month. It stinks.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Short days and colder weather (they use more energy to keep warm). A light would help, but some chickens just do not lay wl in the winter.
    If you use a light, put it on a timer to come on around 4 am. Don't leave it on at night, it is hard for chickens to find their roost if it suddenly gets dark.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens need 14 hours of daylight for peak eggs laying production. You will need a light and a timer if you want them to keep laying all winter.

They could also be molting, if they are they will stop laying eggs.

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    They may be molting, are there a lot of feathers around? are there combs a little paler and smaller?

6. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Mine sped up.

7. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    I live in Fla. and it really hasn't gotten cooler, but I have added a lght in coop. Have had it in there for 4-5 weeks now.
    My 2 BANTAM RIRS haven't been laying eggs either. 1 is broody, even though there is no eggs for her to sit on.
    So I have taken the nest boxes away. keeps trying though. No eggs for weeks?????????
    I know they aren't sick, I know they don't have worms, their diets haven't changed.
    It is good to know I am not the only one going through this.

btw, they are young and only started laying on9/9

not molting

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they do, at certain times for various reasons, because they need a break or because their body is growing in new feathers, etc.

9. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Where in FL? even in the deep south here mine had always molted by this time of year (although lack of sunshine never slowed them down) a couple of pics might help to ID the problem.

Also check for a hidden nest or 2.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I'm in North Florida and mine moulted and stopped laying...the seramas have now started back. Miss ugly is the only one who never quit. My o shamo is laying but the marans, barred rock, and ALL the polish have quit. 11 hens and I get from one to three eggs now. It'll get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by