Do chickens like laying on dog hair?

beb444

Chirping
Nov 16, 2015
Northern CA
So I have a golden retriever, and as you can imagine we groom him a lot of have a lot of fluffy long hair. Would my chickens like laying on his fur in their run? Would it be ok for them if they ate some-or would it get wrapped around intestines? Please let me know what you all think!

So I have a golden retriever, and as you can imagine we groom him a lot of have a lot of fluffy long hair. Would my chickens like laying on his fur in their run? Would it be ok for them if they ate some-or would it get wrapped around intestines? Please let me know what you all think!
Something makes me think this is a bad idea.

Something makes me think this is a bad idea.

IMO I do not think this is a good idea. I would think they would eat/try to eat it and it could very well cause an impacted crop or something worse.
If you want to add materials to the run, use pine needles, leaves, pine shavings, mulch, sand, etc.
Do they have an area for dust bathing and some places where they can perch in the run?

Those darn double posts
tongue.png

Read your reply on the other thread @aart learn something new everyday.

IMO I do not think this is a good idea. I would think they would eat/try to eat it and it could very well cause an impacted crop or something worse.
If you want to add materials to the run, use pine needles, leaves, pine shavings, mulch, sand, etc.
Do they have an area for dust bathing and some places where they can perch in the run?

Yes they have an area for both, but I have a question about the dust bathing... So their run has natural dirt, is that ok? I didn't buy the dust bathing stuff or anything, should I?

Do not know the first thing about your notion and experiment is probably your best recourse. I do know wild birds will use dog hair for nesting material. That being said this is how I deal with my nest boxes.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Last edited:
Do not know the first thing about your notion and experiment is probably your best recourse. I do know wild birds will use dog hair for nesting material. That being said this is how I deal with my nest boxes.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Hey! I just brought my first chickens home today and stumbled upon this thread. Would you mind sharing photos or detailing how you fold the bags? I had in mind an open bag with top folded down so birds sit IN the bags. But after seeing this photo I think I missed the mark????
Thanks so much,

Back
Top Bottom