Do chickens like music?

chickbliss7

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
I clean my coop every day, and spend about an hour there. I put a CD player in their coop and I play music while I work. I have several hens that actually seem to like to listen to music. As soon as they hear me come inside and turn on the player, they come in, choose a nest box (sometimes changing boxes until they find the one they like) and just watch me work. They seem to like listening to the music. Sometimes they doze off, and look very relaxed. At first I thought they were laying eggs, but most of the time, they're not. When I'm finished and go to leave, they hop out to go back outside. Has anyone else observed chickens responding to music?

What kind of music do you play for them?

I keep picturing that episode of South Park with the dancing duck.
lau.gif

I play mostly CDs I've put together myself, which include a variety of music: Miles Davis, Billie Holiday, other classical jazz artists. Also, some rock and roll/Country (Emmylou Harris, Mark Knopfler, Neil Young, Rolling Stones). Sometimes classical music, like Mozart, sometimes alternative Putamayo CDs, which have Eastern, Reggae, African, etc. However, nothing too mind-bending or loud. They seem to like my choices!

Don't know the dancing duck South Park.

Back in the '70's I knew a guy who raised Gamebirds in his "party-shed." When he plugged in a Dolly Pardon tape, one of the roos would fly up on the speaker & crow till the tape ended. His name was Dolly-Dude, & he
love.gif
LOVED
love.gif
Dolly music!

I bet they would like music, but what kind?? If they like bluegrass, they'll get along with me. I'll have to try it! Mine definitely like to be talked to. My neighbors think I'm crazy, as I'm always laying on the lawn conversing with my chickens and allowing them to pirch on me.

In High school I did my Science Fair project on music effecting plants, and I got drastic results. I am sure there are some genres of music that are better to play than others. Classical, of course, would be a great one. Rap and heavy metal are probably the worst things one could play to their chickens. My plants who listened to rap not only leaned away from the speakers, but they died. I'm not saying your chicken would die, but their egg laying could possibly be stunted. I am currently working on a project that involves me listening to classical music. They love it. I think I'll do this more often and see what happens!
big_smile.png

LOL! All I can think of is Count Bessie from the Golden Girls!

No, I am not a million years old.

celebrate.gif
...yeah...they defenitly like music ,my woodworking shop is only a few feet from the run and coop---they will all lay down in the straw run and listen , no pecking , no squabling ,just listening to the tune---i play all type of custom cd i burned---no heavy metal though ,

Back
Top Bottom