1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens like orange peel?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dragonfly Ranch, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Just learning different things to feed chickens - so I just peeled an orange and started to put peel in compost bucket when I thought may be the girls would like this? Yes/No may be so

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    In my experience our chickens do not like any citrus stuff. It goes into the compost.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    No citrus for chickens.

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our chickens love oranges but do not eat the peels. The will eat grapefruit but don't care for it as much. We have never had any problems arrise from feeding our citrus.

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    mine will not touch citrus. it grows freely here. the deer eat it, the chickens don't

6. cdimmey

cdimmey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Can I just say that EVERY time I google a question about my chickens, THIS fabulous forum/community is a top result? Like top 5 at MOST!!

7. MILOCHICKEN

MILOCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2016
    Wellsburg, NY
    My Coop
    My grandpa said that he thought that he heard chickens shouldn't eat orange peels.

8. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

In my experience nothing likes anything citrus. Not chickens, not ducks, geese, potbellied pigs, horses, not even goats (pigmy). Leaves, fruit, rinds, they hate it all.[​IMG] It was the only garden/lawn litter we had to throw into the city compost bin.

Makes me wonder how the trees manage to spread their seeds anywhere.

9. handydad

handydad New Egg

Apr 23, 2015
    My girls will eat ANYTHING fruit or vegetable wise as long as it is chopped up or ground down to their size and sometimes I will mix it in with a cup of scratch or cracked corn, including orange and other citrus peels ( I am talking about the peel from one or two, not a bushel of peel gotten from a processing facility)!
    A pound of citrus peel has about 432 calories (Calorieking.com) along with some vitamin C, and a study has shown that the oils in the peel cut down on harmful pathogens in their digestive tract (furrytips,com).
    So as long as you have the time and the tools to grind or chop it up small enough for their crop, why throw away free food?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  10. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read citrus is bad for chickens, but not sure :confused: I'd stay on the safe side and not feed them any oranges. I doubt they would like the taste anyways

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by