Do chickens like Rain?

tpeila

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
University Place, WA
We live in Western WAshington where we get our share of rain and more! I thought my girls would not like the rain but it rained today for the first time since we have had them and they seem to not mind it. Just wondering

We have been bone dry here in NW Ohio for over a month. It poured and stormed today and my ladies ran and hid like frightened kittens!!! LOL

Mine hate it..???

I dont know if they like it, but they would rather be outside in rain than inside. My chickens stay out in rain, sun, 20 degrees below zero, doesn't matter. The only time they go back inside is to get a snack, a drink and to sleep!

Quote:
Ha Im in ohio too but East. We got rain later today.

My hens HATE the rain. they love to go out afterwards but not during the rain

I've been told that chickens and rain do not mix and do not let them get wet. First, they can a chill and catch a cold and sometimes even die from it. Second, mine are show birds and getting wet from rain and being outside will surely make their feathers a mess. Third, been told chickens need shelter from the rain and especially do not need to be out in the weather when temps are freezing which could cause frostbite which is not a pretty thing and especially bad for their health.
Anyway, since I have show birds, I will do my best to keep them covered during the rain, but of course I can not be there for them every time it rains and they will get wet. The worst is not them getting wet, but the coop getting so smelly when it gets wet.
I do get my chickens wet when I give them a bath for a show and it takes 24 to 36 hours for their feathers to get fully dry. During the cooler months they will stay in a small coop in the house to get dry before a show.
Today, I had a sprinkler on the yard in front of the coops to help cool them down in the heat. The Ameraucana and Araucana chickens were out. Each time the sprinkler came their way, boy they all took off running to get away from the water. As soon as the sprinkler went by they ran back into the area that was wet on the ground. So you could say, mine do not like to get sprayed on but enjoy the wet ground.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree. My pop door is always open so they can go in and out as they choose. They were always out in the snow this winter too it didn't seem to bother them at all.

I think a chickens personality dictates whether they like the rain or not. They are all different. I have a large flock and when it rains some go inside but many of them stay out in the rain and seem to really enjoy it.

I live in a dry climate and we had a monsoon rain last week, the girls were out and had cover, but stayed out in it for the most part. It was their first rain, the next day I noticed my BR was not her busy self, but didn't think much of it, the next day she was coughing, then my BO, my EE, got them on Tera-vet there on the mend...so my point is was it the rain?
idunno.gif

Here in Orem Utah it just started storming every few days for some reason. I was worried at first but my chickens act like nothings happening out there.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom