Do chickens "miss" their owners ???

SAMnELLA

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 19, 2008
North Florida
I was wondering this because we were out of town for 5 days and 2 of my hens only laid 2 eggs in 5 days . (one egg each) I don't know why else they stopped laying. Hope they start up again, now that we are home.
hu.gif

How many do you usually get in the same time frame? When was the last time that they have molted? Anyway, I guess it is always possible that they missed you. That or the fact that a different person was feeding them might have been the culprit since chickens hate change. Hope your babies start to lay for you again now that you are home.

I was wondering this because we were out of town for 5 days and 2 of my hens only laid 2 eggs in 5 days .  (one egg each)  I don't know why else they stopped laying.  Hope they start up again, now that we are home.:confused:  

They are creatures of habit. If they are used to a routine, disruptions are stressful, which does affect laying. If they are not used to someone it could be a stressor.
Make sure they didn't decide to hide their eggs from the "stranger", too.

I totally agree with Kikiriki. If we are remodeling the coop, Cleaning the coop, moving our other animals around, or even catching an escapee chicken they won't lay well that day. They are most definitely creatures of habit and enjoy familiarity. I have noticed if there is a lull in egg production try cleaning out their nesting boxes and put fresh bedding (what ever you use). It seems like they are in competition to check out the boxes and will be waiting in line to do so. Hope your girls get back in the swing of things. :cd

I wonder if its because the other hens went "broody" ?? The person taking care of our critters while we were away didn't collect the eggs. He said every time he came over, the hen was sitting on the nest . So he thought there wasn't any eggs to collect LOL. So I wonder if the other hens are trying to go broody also ? Oh well, we'll just have to eat oatmeal for breakfast LOL.

The other thing I can't figure out is that one of the hens is pooping on her eggs when she lays an egg. They aren't doing it because they are roosting in there, because I cleaned out the nest and waited for her to lay an egg today, so she's doing it at the same time she lays the egg.
hu.gif
barnie.gif
LOL

The other thing I can't figure out is that one of the hens is pooping on her eggs when she lays an egg. They aren't doing it because they are roosting in there, because I cleaned out the nest and waited for her to lay an egg today, so she's doing it at the same time she lays the egg.
hu.gif
barnie.gif
LOL
She must be straining real hard. Maybe it is like when women give birth. Ask any L&D nurse and they will tell you that when a woman starts to push, EVERYTHING comes out.

Back
Top Bottom