Do chickens need floor space inside the coop if they have constant access to predator proof run?

The roost only needs to be higher than the nests.

You show an elevation(side) view, but how about a floor plan(top view)?
The photo sketch is a top view. I just noted the elevation heights of the two roosts.
One rung would be easier and give them more space. How high is too high for them to safely jump up and down?

The photo sketch is a top view. I just noted the elevation heights of the two roosts.
OK, I guess the pop door threw me off.

One rung would be easier and give them more space. How high is too high for them to safely jump up and down?
In that small of a space I wouldn't put it any higher than to keep them from sleeping in the nests....so 12-14".

If you have bigger than standard, anything higher than 3 feet is too high. I'd go 24 inches. This would give you options in how deep you want the straw/sand/wood chips,... to be, and not be too high. If it is too high the hens can damage the egg.

If you have bigger than standard, anything higher than 3 feet is too high. I'd go 24 inches. This would give you options in how deep you want the straw/sand/wood chips,... to be, and not be too high. If it is too high the hens can damage the egg.
Thank you. You just reassured me I made the right decision going with 24 inches. My thoughts were similar to what you mentioned. It will be anywhere from 18-22" off the ground depending on how much bedding is in there. And still gives them 2 feet of headspace to be comfy and breathe.

Here's the coop with the main construction done! In case anyone wanted to see how it came out. Thanks for all your help!
PXL_20230904_223347398.jpg
PXL_20230904_223354781.jpg
PXL_20230904_223402308.jpg
PXL_20230904_215905839.jpg

Our plastic Snap-Lock coops have no floorspace that isn't under roosting bars. If weather is really bad the birds will sit on the roost bars during the day, but they need to get out into the run to eat and drink. The run needs to have sheltered areas, both shade and windbreak, as they want to stay out as much as possible. When snow is deep we shovel little chicken paths from the feeders and waterers to the coops, but that doesn't happen often.

My biggest concern about it is that one day they'll be out in the rain and go to roost wet on a night that suddenly turns freezing. Temporary overnight quarters in a heated greenhouse are already in place, but it'll be a pain that evening. They always seem to be dry next to the skin at roost time on rainy days so far.

Our plastic Snap-Lock coops have no floorspace that isn't under roosting bars. If weather is really bad the birds will sit on the roost bars during the day, but they need to get out into the run to eat and drink. The run needs to have sheltered areas, both shade and windbreak, as they want to stay out as much as possible. When snow is deep we shovel little chicken paths from the feeders and waterers to the coops, but that doesn't happen often.

My biggest concern about it is that one day they'll be out in the rain and go to roost wet on a night that suddenly turns freezing. Temporary overnight quarters in a heated greenhouse are already in place, but it'll be a pain that evening. They always seem to be dry next to the skin at roost time on rainy days so far.
A suggestion ; when I knew it was going to snow I laid down feed bags then I lifted them up after snow so there was a favorite place in sun to dust bathe. They do lay on their feet on roost so they will dry .

A suggestion ; when I knew it was going to snow I laid down feed bags then I lifted them up after snow so there was a favorite place in sun to dust bathe. They do lay on their feet on roost so they will dry .
That's a great idea. It's too windy here to work well.

I've been thinking of getting one of those tiny kit greenhouse (second-hand after a couple of the polycarbonate panels have broken so it's cheap) and attaching it to the side of the run with little chicken-gate so they can have a 'sun room' that's mostly polycarbonate roof and walls but with some hardware cloth wall-panels on the lee.

Back
Top Bottom