Do chickens need floor space inside the coop if they have constant access to predator proof run?

YungTarnished

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2023
Hello, I am building a 3'x4' coop for our 3 chicks. I plan to make a ladder with 2 rungs 12" apart that run the length of the 3' wall and starting 18" from the wall.
In my plans though, it seems there won't be much ground room for the chickens other than under the ladder. As I'll have a nest box inside.
Is this ok if the door to the coop is always open and they have a covered run that's 8' x 6' 24/7?
Or do they need some inside space to walk around.
Here's a rough sketch of the inside.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

https://ibb.co/xHb8zz8

You should consider bumping the nests outside, you're not building with enough floor space for it inside. Or increase the size of the coop. 4x4 is probably about the same price to build as 3x4 but it adds enough extra space to add the inside box (though you need to consider how you'll access the nest if you can't get inside the coop).

12" apart is a bit too close for roost bars, they need to be more like 14-16" apart for standard size birds to prevent picking and bullying.

You don't mention ventilation either, smaller the coop the harder it is to properly ventilate.

(Lastly this is just a little thing, I don't know about others but I'm nervous about clicking mystery links - it's better to add images directly to your post. You can drag and drop directly into your posts or click the icon in the center above the text window, immediately to the left of the camera shaped one.)

Hello, I am building a 3'x4' coop for our 3 chicks. I plan to make a ladder with 2 rungs 12" apart that run the length of the 3' wall and starting 18" from the wall.
In my plans though, it seems there won't be much ground room for the chickens other than under the ladder. As I'll have a nest box inside.
Is this ok if the door to the coop is always open and they have a covered run that's 8' x 6' 24/7?
Or do they need some inside space to walk around.
Here's a rough sketch of the inside.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

https://ibb.co/xHb8zz8
Where is door to get to nest box? I agree it depends on you location I have had to shut mine in a few days a year( terrible cold weather) also lock them in a week so they learn "coop is safety" when they're pullets and it was handy to have enough space to do that.
Ditto the 4x4 suggestion.

You should consider bumping the nests outside, you're not building with enough floor space for it inside. Or increase the size of the coop. 4x4 is probably about the same price to build as 3x4 but it adds enough extra space to add the inside box (though you need to consider how you'll access the nest if you can't get inside the coop).

12" apart is a bit too close for roost bars, they need to be more like 14-16" apart for standard size birds to prevent picking and bullying.

You don't mention ventilation either, smaller the coop the harder it is to properly ventilate.

(Lastly this is just a little thing, I don't know about others but I'm nervous about clicking mystery links - it's better to add images directly to your post. You can drag and drop directly into your posts or click the icon in the center above the text window, immediately to the left of the camera shaped one.)
Thanks for the reply. I plan to have a 2nd door that leads to the nest box from the outside.
Good to know about the roost bars. I'll make sure they are further apart.
And for ventilation I'm planning to do one on each side near the roof equal to about 3 square feet total open space.
Also, does the nest box have to be a part of the coop? Could I put it in the run standalone?

Attachments

• PXL_20230903_002303490.jpg
    PXL_20230903_002303490.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 9
Also, does the nest box have to be a part of the coop? Could I put it in the run standalone?
Yes you can as long as the birds can access it whenever its needed. They just usually go in the coop because of weather/predator protection and so the birds always have access, but as long as you have a spot in the run that meets that criteria then that can work as well.

If you only have three chickens I don't see why you would need two roosting bars. They will will want to roost side by side. Even if one doesn't want to cuddle up one roost would give her a few inches to seperate.
I guess my thought for the lower rung was so they can get up to the upper rung easily.

Back
Top Bottom