Do chickens pout??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CodyChristine, Apr 28, 2009.

1. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    I work outside the home three days a week and on those days, the chickens don't get out of their run to free range. They were in their coop/run all winter and were laying at almost 100% even through the cold cold spells of -20 below with a lamp on.

Well, now that spring is here I let them out to free range on the days I am off work and they LOVE it! But - In the past week, I've noticed on days I let them out I am getting 4-6 eggs, but on days they don't get out, I'm lucky to get 2!

So, I'm wondering - do chickens pout and slow down their laying?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Yes they do. Anytime they feel uncomfortable, stressed or just plain fussy, they slow down laying. They're also champion whiners.

3. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I have the same problem.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yep it's revenge, they know how much we love their eggs so they hold out when they don't get their way. At least mine do [​IMG]

5. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Could they be laying there eggs some where? [​IMG]

6. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Quote:Well, every now and then, I'll find an egg in the corner of the coop but otherwise, they're always in the nest. Even when they go out to free range, the ggirls always go back to the coop and lay their eggs.

I've also noticed how much brighter the yolks are since letting them out to free range! YUM!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by