Do chickens remember each other?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Trish1974, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Last Wednesday I became mother hen to 5 - 5 month old pullets. One buff orp, one golden comet, and three black austrolorps. The man I bought him from had 7 pullets for sale, but my plan was to get a rooster so I didn't want to overcrowd the coop by getting all seven. The girls are just wonderful! Friendly, well behaved, obedient. I spend a lot of time sitting in their run with them, talking to them and giving them treats. I have decided I don't want to risk ruining this relationship by getting a rooster. So now that I have nixed that idea I am thinking about going back and getting the other 2 pullets. If I do that will they remember each other and resume their pecking order? Its been slightly less than a week since they have all been together.

2. AstralStorm

AstralStorm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2016
    If it's only been a week they should be okay. There may be some arguments but nothing major. If you're concerned you could put the new ones into a large dog crate or section off an area of the coop for them. It isn't likely they will cause any problems. Good luck:)

3. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    They will remember.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would not count on them 'remembering' their old flock mates after a week.
    .....and after a week, the birds in your coop may feel sufficiently territorial to defend it against any newcomers.

With your coop being only 4x6', 5 birds is plenty, adding more might get crowded.

5. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Thanks everyone!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    With a coop that size, as Aart says, I would not add any more birds. And that coop is definitely too small for a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by