Do Chickens remember their hatch siblings?

newchickfl

Songster
Jan 16, 2015
Florida
I had two silver sebright sisters. One of them suddenly died just a couple days ago. I Happen to be able to get one of her other sisters - They have not seen each other for about 5 months. will they remember each other? they were together for the first 3 months after hatching.

Because of the whole 'pecking order' whether they remember or not will be hard to tell since they usually have to establish some sort of dominance in the flock.
I don't have any experience first hand, but this is what I would assume. But as said before, if they grow up together they definitely do stick together. I might find out some answer to this in the coming month since I've temporarily separated a cockerel from a pullet that he grew up with. I'll try to take note to see how they interact once they've been reunited.

Because of the whole 'pecking order' whether they remember or not will be hard to tell since they usually have to establish some sort of dominance in the flock.
I don't have any experience first hand, but this is what I would assume. But as said before, if they grow up together they definitely do stick together. I might find out some answer to this in the coming month since I've temporarily separated a cockerel from a pullet that he grew up with. I'll try to take note to see how they interact once they've been reunited.
I will be picking up her other sister tomorrow so Wednesday I will reunite them and let you know how it goes. Crossing my fingers they do remember - they are my only bantams besides my one silkie in a flock of standards.

I will be picking up her other sister tomorrow so Wednesday I will reunite them and let you know how it goes. Crossing my fingers they do remember - they are my only bantams besides my one silkie in a flock of standards.
I hatched chicks in my incubator and kept them separate from their parents until they were 8 weeks. The parents started taking care of them like they were in the flock the whole time.

Chickens are amazing!

update - ok so I gave it a try and my girls tried to hurt her through the cage. I figured I had a rooster or she had something wrong with her. took her inside and picked her up and looked her over and she sneezed, so i listened to her chest and she was wheezy. took her to the vet and she had an upper respiratory infection. so she has been on antibiotics and vitamins and is cleared up but is still in quarantine till this sunday and I will try it again.

Back
Top Bottom