Do Chickens remember their hatch siblings?

update - ok so I gave it a try and my girls tried to hurt her through the cage. I figured I had a rooster or she had something wrong with her. took her inside and picked her up and looked her over and she sneezed, so i listened to her chest and she was wheezy. took her to the vet and she had an upper respiratory infection. so she has been on antibiotics and vitamins and is cleared up but is still in quarantine till this sunday and I will try it again.
Yikes!
Did the vet send off any swabs for testing so you will know which respiratory disease you are dealing with?
Have you read up on respiratory diseases and have you considered there's a possibility that your existing birds can contract it as well?

Yikes!
Did the vet send off any swabs for testing so you will know which respiratory disease you are dealing with?
Have you read up on respiratory diseases and have you considered there's a possibility that your existing birds can contract it as well?

my vet tested it at the office and that is how he determined which antibiotic to give her. he is an avian vet. I have done plenty of reading on respiratory disease as this is not the first time I have dealt with it. She has also had humidifier treatments with oxine. I also use oxine for cleaning my coop and during the winter I will give them a spray boost of it in the coop as a preventative to kill off any possible bacteria, virus or mold that could be around them.

my vet tested it at the office and that is how he determined which antibiotic to give her. he is an avian vet. I have done plenty of reading on respiratory disease as this is not the first time I have dealt with it. She has also had humidifier treatments with oxine. I also use oxine for cleaning my coop and during the winter I will give them a spray boost of it in the coop as a preventative to kill off any possible bacteria, virus or mold that could be around them.
Sounds like you have a great vet!
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear you have unfortunately dealt with respiratory illness before this.
Oxine is good stuff, you are staying on top of it well - you have a good cleaning plan in place:thumbsup

Sounds like you have a great vet!
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear you have unfortunately dealt with respiratory illness before this.
Oxine is good stuff, you are staying on top of it well - you have a good cleaning plan in place:thumbsup
He is, it took me forever to find him. I try to stay on top of stuff with my girls. it has been a long road of hits and misses and a lot of learning and I still learn new stuff all the time. I have lost chickens in the past from sickness so I do my best to keep their coop and run area clean and dry. :)

my vet tested it at the office and that is how he determined which antibiotic to give her
So what is it?
I thought cultures needed to be incubated to determine the type of virus or bacteria.
Maybe he could see it under a microscope without incubation?

So what is it?
I thought cultures needed to be incubated to determine the type of virus or bacteria.
Maybe he could see it under a microscope without incubation?
I don't know. He didn't say exactly a name of it. He took a swap of the junk from her nostril and was gone for 20 minutes so I don't know what he did and came back and said she has an upper respiratory infection but it will respond to antibiotics and he went and got the antibiotics and I gave her 2ml twice a day for 10 days and she cleared right up. She did not have watery or puffy eyes just the wheezing and sneezing and she never lost her appetite either. I never thought of asking how he came to that conclusion - he is the vet and the one with the schooling so I just go by what he says. so far he has never steered me wrong.

**Update** I have integrated her with the flock. First put her out again in her cage and this time the only one who tried to go after her was my other sebright. It has been a week now and I only had her in the cage for a day and a half and she fit right in. It did take her a couple days to figure out how to go up into the coop and roost but after picking her up and placing her on the roost she finally figured it out. everyone is happy and her and her sister are slowly starting to run around together. better turnout than I first was thinking it would be. :)

Back
Top Bottom