Do chickens shed skin?

MimiChick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Glocester, RI
I noticed that 1 of my 3 girls had what looked like a lot of dirt at the base of her feather shafts. It didn't look like any of the pics I've seen of mite or lice eggs, just really dirty. She also was a little lethargic, although eating and drinking ok. Her poop also looked normal.
When I checked her over the weeked I found what looked like mites or lice, so I immediately dusted her with DE. The next day I got some poultry dust (permethrin) and gave all the girls a dusting (the others showed no signs of pests), then I cleaned the coop, put in fresh shavings, DE and poultry dust. I also added some poultry dust to thier indoor dust bath (dirt, sand, wood ashes) She seemed a little better and I didn't see any more mites, but I decided to give her a bath today anyway. A LOT of dirt came off and from the base of her feather shafts it looked like skin was sloughing off also. All of this was mostly on her lower back and around the vent area. She's a pullet, about 16 weeks old (I think) and is currently growing in a lot of feathers. Is this at all normal? Should I be overly concerned something is wrong? I dried her with a hairdryer and pulled off clumps of skin around her feather shafts easilly and without taking out any feathers. I just put her in a small cage with food and water and will dust her again when she is completely dry.
Any help/information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. I've been a little concerned. But she's acting fine and face is getting color back (she had paled out some), so hopefully the problem is solved. If anyone thinks of anything else I should be looking for or doing, please let me know. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom