Dead skin peeling off rooster; moult or side effect of mites?

905silkies

Songster
Feb 22, 2022
Long story short, my Belgian D’Uccle rooster Simon had a bad case of the mites in his hackle feathers. I bathed him thoroughly & treated him with Ivermectin & Elector PSP. I am no stranger to mites.

Where the mites were there is all sorts of what looks to be brown dead skin peeling off, interwoven with his feather shafts.

I’m wondering if this is damaged skin from the mite infestation coming off..? Or is this part of a horrible moult?

Any insight appreciated. He’s been mating with his ladies all night & seems unbothered. Should I pick it out (since it’s soft from being wet) or leave it? I can only imagine it’s uncomfortable. I did get some of it out.

Pics below of the nasty skin, and a pic of him dried off in all his glory.

IMG_6223.png
IMG_6225.png
IMG_6228.jpeg
IMG_6227.png
IMG_6224.png

Attachments

• IMG_6226.jpeg
    IMG_6226.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
If he's agreeable and you can easily pick that material out, I'd try to remove what you can.

Looks like a mix of dried skin, perhaps mite residue and dirt.

Does he take dust baths? If he does, then once he's dry and takes a really good dust bath, hopefully the rest of that gunky material will rub or slough off.

If he's agreeable and you can easily pick that material out, I'd try to remove what you can.

Looks like a mix of dried skin, perhaps mite residue and dirt.

Does he take dust baths? If he does, then once he's dry and takes a really good dust bath, hopefully the rest of that gunky material will rub or slough off.
Thank you for the response! He let me pick a good portion of it out once it softened. He seems fine now 🙂

Back
Top Bottom