Scaly body mites?

Think I got eyes mixed up. Here, right eye first, left eye second.

Attachments

• 54C9313C-6871-4806-9701-CFDF69FDEAC7.jpeg
    54C9313C-6871-4806-9701-CFDF69FDEAC7.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DD9DD736-1482-4309-A3C8-6165999F68AE.jpeg
    DD9DD736-1482-4309-A3C8-6165999F68AE.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 4
Here is where you can contact for Mareks testing:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
If you should lose her eventually, your state vet lab may do a necropsy where they can do further testing. Here is a list of state vet labs:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
OK, VetDNA has a kit that you order from their web site. Blood is collected by clipping a toenail a little farther up. Send sample off and lab will run test day it is received, with results that day. Pretty simple. 3 swabs and 3 tubes:$18.00. Thanks for the info.

OK, VetDNA has a kit that you order from their web site. Blood is collected by clipping a toenail a little farther up. Send sample off and lab will run test day it is received, with results that day. Pretty simple. 3 swabs and 3 tubes:$18.00. Thanks for the info.
Additional $20 per test per sample. Still less than vet doing blood draw.

Could it be a reaction to the recent treatments or combination of products? Like humans, could it be she's sensitive to one of them? Or affecting her natural immunity?

Like she said, maybe a good soak in dandruff shampoo to kill mites and topical application like Vetericyn to soothe and help it heal.
Right now I'm trying to treat scaly leg mites + they're ugly. But advice I got was all topical ointments like coating with Vaseline or Nustock. Plus I used Neosporin under those in case of infection. Seems better after a couple of days- but was not as bad as your poor girl.
Fingers crossed it's not that disease.

Could it be a reaction to the recent treatments or combination of products? Like humans, could it be she's sensitive to one of them? Or affecting her natural immunity?

Like she said, maybe a good soak in dandruff shampoo to kill mites and topical application like Vetericyn to soothe and help it heal.
Right now I'm trying to treat scaly leg mites + they're ugly. But advice I got was all topical ointments like coating with Vaseline or Nustock. Plus I used Neosporin under those in case of infection. Seems better after a couple of days- but was not as bad as your poor girl.
Fingers crossed it's not that disease.
Could be anything, I suppose. I've used the Ivermectin and Elector PSP with no adverse effects in the past. Since I brought her inside, I have been soaking in solution with Elector PSP, epsom salt and chlorhexidine. I don't think it is either of those that caused it, because the scabs were already there. I've been applying Desitin to the scabs, which help soften and make it easier to remove them. Soaking softens them too. Today I tried some jojoba oil. She seems worn out when I soak her, so I'm giving her a few days off. The photos I've seen of Marek's cutaneous look very similar to her skin. She also has sour crop and diarrhea, which I am treating for. Again, she already had the scabs when I started treatment. I was stunned when vet showed me the scabs. I've been checking the rest of my flock.

Regarding immunity, since two of my girls got sick or worsened at the same time, I attribute that to the recent cold spell we had. Flock did well all summer long here in Texas where the temps were brutal. I provided them with large saucers of water in shade for them to cool down in and they came through the heat well.

For scaly leg mites, I've had good success soaking in Elector PSP solution (.9 ml per gallon of warm water) for 10 minutes, then applying the ointment. Repeat in a few days or a week. It's time consuming though. Ivermectin works too, but I am getting more leery of using it, seems to be hard on them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom