Scaly body mites?

oakhavenmama

Songster
7 Years
Feb 14, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
Hi, I am dealing with something strange. I would swear my hens’ scaly leg mites have spread to all over her body. I have been treating her with Ivermectin, last two doses two weeks apart in October. I have been battling scaly leg mites in my entire flock with some success.

Took her to the vet who thought it was fungal or bacterial infection on her skin. She has sour crop too. Not sure he is familiar with scaly leg mites.

Vet gave her clavamox in addition to the nystatin I had started her on.

I also dewormed with fenbendazole a couple of weeks ago. Mostly a preventive dose because some in flock had a bad case of capillaria worms.

I soaked her in Elector PSP solution last two days for her scaly leg mites. The more I look at the scabs in her body, the more it looks like scaly leg mite crud.

I want to give her more Ivermectin because the scabs are everywhere, but am afraid of over medicating her.

Searches here have turned up only a couple of similar cases and nothing definitive.

Anyone else ever dealt with something similar?

Would like to chronicle this so it might help someone down the road. Will update.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hard to get good pics because she has dark skin. It’s basically scabs everywhere. One pic shows some of the scabs that came off.

Attachments

• E44F0DF4-2832-4509-A20C-F06003443ED9.jpeg
    E44F0DF4-2832-4509-A20C-F06003443ED9.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 192BD507-5EF5-41E6-9608-896F16C60D3C.jpeg
    192BD507-5EF5-41E6-9608-896F16C60D3C.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 3A19D02F-00AD-4AC9-BDC6-E4342F02437D.jpeg
    3A19D02F-00AD-4AC9-BDC6-E4342F02437D.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 7DA16634-E0B6-4EDF-BDED-361B9061783B.jpeg
    7DA16634-E0B6-4EDF-BDED-361B9061783B.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 48
This may be simply an excess of secreted sebum, sort of like dandruff on a human head. Or it could be the cutaneous form of Marek's. http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/marek’s-disease-backyard-chickens. I would try getting a bottle of Head and Shoulders shampoo and mixing up a soaking bath with it.

Ask your vet if they might be able to take a blood sample and send it in for a PCR test for Marek's.

This may be simply an excess of secreted sebum, sort of like dandruff on a human head. Or it could be the cutaneous form of Marek's. http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/marek’s-disease-backyard-chickens. I would try getting a bottle of Head and Shoulders shampoo and mixing up a soaking bath with it.

Ask your vet if they might be able to take a blood sample and send it in for a PCR test for Marek's.
Oh my goodness, I hope it is not Marek's. But I will ask him to take a blood sample. Thank you.

Here is where you can contact for Mareks testing:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
If you should lose her eventually, your state vet lab may do a necropsy where they can do further testing. Here is a list of state vet labs:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Do I contact them myself or should my vet contact?

Also another hen is not well, lethargic. I looked up Mareks and saw that they can get it in their eyes? Her pupils are a lighter color. Does that mean she has Mareks?

Thank you!

Also another hen is not well, lethargic. I looked up Mareks and saw that they can get it in their eyes? Her pupils are a lighter color. Does that mean she has Mareks?

Thank you!
The iris of the eye may turn gray, and the pupil can become irregular and small. Pictures of the eyes are welcome. You can ask your vet if they can send blood off to a lab for a pcr test Mareks, and in the meantime call and ask RAL about how to go about testing. Tell them you have a vet who may draw blood.

Also another hen is not well, lethargic. I looked up Mareks and saw that they can get it
The iris of the eye may turn gray, and the pupil can become irregular and small. Pictures of the eyes are welcome. You can ask your vet if they can send blood off to a lab for a pcr test Mareks, and in the meantime call and ask RAL about how to go about testing. Tell them you have a vet who may draw blood.
I was reading an article that said labs might be able to diagnose from a feather? Have you heard of that?

Attached is a photo of one of my hens’ eyes. A week or so ago I noticed that she didn’t seem to see some black soldier fly grubs that I tried to give her and thought that was strange.

Attachments

• 98B2EA8D-A1A2-48E3-8E14-D14BB3139618.jpeg
    98B2EA8D-A1A2-48E3-8E14-D14BB3139618.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 44
The pupil looks dilated and large, and many chickens with blindness have dilated pupils to let more light in. The iris appears light colored. What does the other eye look like?

The pupil looks dilated and large, and many chickens with blindness have dilated pupils to let more light in. The iris appears light colored. What does the other eye look like?
It’s pretty dark in the kitchen where she is. Her pupils are not usually that big, but the irises are definitely light colored. Unknown whether this is new or she’s always looked this way. I will take more pics in the morning and post. Thanks so much for your help!

Here are more eye photos: left eye first, right eye second. Looking forward to your comments! Please see post after this for better photos. Thank you!

Attachments

• A3269BDE-6580-4202-98D7-459871E42895.jpeg
    A3269BDE-6580-4202-98D7-459871E42895.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 38
  • CB5970CC-E210-4AB8-BCD0-D99772062BEB.jpeg
    CB5970CC-E210-4AB8-BCD0-D99772062BEB.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom