Do Chickens Show Affection to one another?

AChickenLoverProduction

Chirping
8 Years
May 20, 2011
San Antonio Texas
Today I saw my NH Sandy, preen my crippled Rooster Pumpkin. She was preening around his face and Hackle feathers, has anyone else seen their chickens doing this? Just curious.
ya.gif

They do show affection. We were selling off some of the flock last Fall and we were in the coop pulling out the hens that we sold. One of the hens we were not selling covered the two hens on either side of her with her wings. We had never seen any of them do that before. I'm thinking she was trying to protect/comfort her 'friends'.

Our Austrlorps also all lay eggs together and will spend hours in the coop until all of them lay their eggs! They ignore the other birds completely while they are laying.

Yes! my 2 little feather babies are almost 3 weeks old and they are fast friends. They stay close to each other no matter how big the area they have to roam. And when the sun is setting and the day is done, one will drape thier neck over the others and sleep. Aww its soo cute to see.
smile.png

Yes, I've seen very gentle grooming between hens that are pals. And my blue silkie has the hardest time getting the shaft material off of her head feathers - I've watched my d'uccle pullet work very carefully at getting that stuff off...reminds me of BFFs doing one another's hair...lol.

Back
Top Bottom