Do chickens sleep so deeply to the point that they appear to be ill?

calsunchic

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2015
Alamo, CA
I am new to chicken keeping and we left our 4 10 week old pullets in the care of someone else for 2 days in warm weather (with food and 2 water sources). When we returned home this evening (8:30pm) they were dog piled on each other as they usually are for bed. We wanted to check on them more closely, since we hadn't seen them in a couple days. One of them was not moving even when provoked...the sassiest one we have mind you. She was so out of it that one of the other chicks was standing on her as she just laid on her side. Finally after picking her up and forcing her to stand she seemed to be fine. Was she being crushed and deprived of oxygen? Were her legs asleep from the pressure of the others? Is this normal? Are these stupid questions? You can totally say yes!!
P.S. I know there was a previous thread about sleeping chickens, but people had mixed experiences. I just want to know that this behavior is normal. Thank you for any advise you can offer!

No these are not stupid questions. It is normal for that to happen, they are just tired and exhausted from the long day of dust bathing and tanning in the sun. Its ok if she is like that but if she doesn't wake up and stand them something is wrong. Its like when you have to get up early in the morning and you are just out of it tired and cant really wake up.

Thank you for the reply. We noticed today that she was acting strangely and have concluded that she may have Marek's. We moved her to the brooder and are just crossing fingers that the others don't come down with it to. Do you know if I should remove them and try to bleach it down or figure what's done is done at this point?

A chicken cant get Mareks after five months or be effected by it, but if one chicken has it all chickens have it. Your chicken might have gotten it wile a chick and wasn't effected until older. There are different Mareks diseases but they all are dangerous. I have had Mareks in my flock and it is painful to have and watch. Yes chickens do get less active when having it and then they start to paralyze. But like I said some are not affected. If your chickens do have it you cant take your chicken anywhere and you cant go to other peoples houses with chicken or who think they might get chicken cause the disease will catch a ride on you to anyone house or place. The disease can live in the ground up to three years, but the chickens will still carry it. the disease is cause by wild bird or from the hatchery that where I got mine. I hope you don't have it because its incurable. Good luck.

The necropsy came back undetermined but suspected marek's. My birds are vaccinated as I have found out. This is apparently not 100% effective. I wonder if I should wait until they are all 25 weeks to see if any of tre others are going to come down with it. I was hoping to introduce another bird to my 12 week old pullets before they fully establish their new pecking order. Do you think it is safe if the new bird is vaccinated? I've heard Marek's is everywhere anyway and most birds are carriers. The new bird would be 17 weeks. any help anyone can give would be great!

Back
Top Bottom