Do chickens sneeze every once in a while?

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
Its cold. And I have noticed that some of my chickens are sneezing ever so lightly. Should I be conserned? If they are sick I want to do something for them but I dont want to over medicate them. Any ideas? Thanks

Did you just put down new shavings? Whenever I put in fresh shavings or straw, it gets dusty and they sneeze for a day or so. Also if they get a treat that tends to stick in their beaks, they sneeze to get it out. Once gave them some yogurt-and-oatmeal mix per the fine folks here, and one hen stuck her whole face in it, so I picked her up to let the other chickens have some--and she promptly sneezed yogurt, oatmeal and chicken snot all over my shirt. Charming.

thanks rosalind,seachick, and headbanging rooster-yes I did just put new beddind down-yes I gave them hot cooked rice- and yes I will put some apple cider vinegar in the water (I have the good kind-Braggs)
smile.png

Same here. Our birds sneeze and get runny noses too.

I find some of ours sneeze more after eating.

Unless it becomes chronic or their nasal passages goop over
I wouldn't worry too much.

when i let them eat a bit of scratch my minorca roo goes BUKAWWH like a sneeze, i always interpret it as sneezing, like if food goes down the wrong way..

My two chicks do sneeze every now and then, and they don't seem listless or anything. I'll try the apple cider vinegar, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom