do chickens sneeze or are they sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cracked_egg, Jun 29, 2010.

1. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Well, I'm guessing they're sick, but the question is, is it like a kid with a small cold who will get over it, or are they gonna get worse and die without treatment?

They are 4 week old dominiques... They are healthy and active otherwise, and I just noticed the sneezing last night on one of them, but now the other is sneezing too... They were stressed recently by a dog...

Any help welcome...

2. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Are they sneezing all the time? Or just every so often? As far as I know they just sneeze. Their food is dusty as are their shavings. I mean imagine if you lived in there, you'd sneeze too!

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    It's normal to sneeze occasionally like we do. If the chicks are sneezing more that just occasionally then I would separate those ones out and treat them with something. If it ends up being nothing then it's only caused you a little inconvenience. If it turns out to be a virus then you've potentially saved the rest of your birds.

edited to add: yes, they can get worse and possibly die. I personally would treat all of them, but keep on separating the sick ones out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    My first born sliky Peaches was sneezing the lastweek
    so I watch her and she is ok I think like some one said here
    we all sneeze once in a while.
    but do watch her/him [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] My cat Lucy sitting here just sneezed.
    whats that all about [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  5. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Well, they don't sneeze a lot, but they sneeze more than once or twice in the hour I'm with them... They r on hay for bedding rather than straw, and they seem very happy, so I don't know..... Will keep an eye on them.. There are only 5 in the coop, the other 43 are in the garage yet.... Urgh, love these crazy things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by