Do chickens throw up? or something like that

cbriggscc

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
North Collins, NY
I was sitting watching my chichens the one chicken was on the perch and threw up liquid...kind of clear slimmy? the other hens all gathered under to to scratch and wanted to eat it? Im not sure if I'm doing well explaining it , or whether I have just to much time on my hands? Has anyone else seen this behavior.
Thanks for your help
Sincerely,
charlene

yes they do throw up ... i remember one of our chicks
roll.png
i had just fed them and a friend of ours who is kinda new to chickens picked it up and sort squeezed it's crop and.......... blah he had to borrow one of my shirts while his got washed
lol.png

After drinking water, mine will sometimes urp it back up when they bend over to eat. Nasty, but they don't seem to care. These are otherwise healthy birds.

Quote:
Yup, seen some of mine do that a few times.

Mine do the same, the other chooks come running when she barfs up liquid so they can clean up! yuck....

My PR roo did this 2 wks. ago and it completely freaked me out! I watched him for the next several days and finally figured out that he was okay and healthy. It does make you worry though, the first time you see it.

Not really throwing up, exactly, the crop just holds undigested food until it can get t the gizzard to be ground up and passed along. The crop is sort of like a balloon. Sometimes, if the crop's very full, pressure of bending down or something, can push some food back out. So it's just wet, undigested food, and water. Looks more disgusting than it actually is.

I took two babies out of the brooder to take them to the nursery.
I picked them up and they both immediately had a bunch of food and liquid come out of their beaks. It did not hurt them at all and as soom as the hit the nursery they were at the feeder and waterer. Little pigs.

Back
Top Bottom