Do chicks always zip in the same direction?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I can't believe this is something I never wondered about before.

Is it always anticlockwise? (Egg in carton, pointy end down, looking down on it from above...)

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Good question! Now that you mention it, I believe I have only seen them zip anti-clockwise too! I'll be interested to hear what everyone else says.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Hmmmm, I can't say. I never tracked it and trying to think back, I don't recall. I'll watch this week and let you know!

4. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I seem to remember reading something about the embryo always developing the same way in the egg. Like, when they're all curled up their head is always bent in the same direction and under the same wing. Can't remember if it was the left or right wing now. But if they always grow the same way I would imagine they would probably all zip the same way...

MuranoFarms: Good luck with your hatch! Please pop back and let me know how it goes.

5. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    This was actually something I noticed with my last hatch... I'd never wondered before that but from what I saw, yes.. It was counterclockwise...

Goddess [​IMG]

6. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have another eight in lockdown and I'm going to pay close attention to them...

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Me too. I'm hatching tomorrow, & every weekend for a while. I'll watch & report! [​IMG]

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    the hatch we are havign right now is going either way. One is taking it's one sweet time and seems to alternate sides.

9. AshleyMarie17

AshleyMarie17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    I'm wondering why a chick would zip clockwise instead of counter-clockwise? I have one doing this as we speak. It's also day 23.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by