Do chicks ever hatch a day or two early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XilverAngel, Sep 1, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I'm just wondering, because i have heard of such things, but the times i've seen posts on late hatches are more than those of early hatches... Do these things ever happen, and if they do, about how many days early? Thanks for the responses~!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If the temps in your incubator have been running a little high they can hatch a little early.

3. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Oh? That's interesting. What about with a broody hen then? I have one sitting on 11 eggs. Do those ever hatch early?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They can, yes.

5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I had one hatch in my bator 2 days early... [​IMG]

6. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Awesome!!! I kinda wish mine would do that right now; waiting is soo hard!!! Is it possible for them to hatch early under a hen though? not in an incubator?

7. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Does this cause problems like a premature baby or are they okay not going 21 full days?

8. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    You know come to think of it, the one chick that hatched early seemed to not eat, drink, grow as normal till his chicky friends hatched then he/she was catching up to grow, in fact it's feathers seemed to grow out slower than the others, so I dunno [​IMG]

9. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I've only hatched 3 times..but usually they start coming on day 20...BUT this hatch I had 5 hatch on day 18 while still in the turner!!!! All very healthy! Then the other 5 hatched on day 20!???????

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yes, a day, even two early, is not uncommon. Especially for the smaller breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by