Do chicks ever sleep in weird positions? and chick age question

My chicks scare me the most when they try to have a "dust bath" in the pine shavings. They lay on their side and scratch erratically with one leg. They look like they're having a seizure!

I like the one that sleeps on its back. I have one that does that, I to was thinking it was dead but no .

The others sleep crazy with the head in the food or looking like they are dead but I guess just like we do comfy.

We have one who keeps sleeping face forward in the shavings. She seems to sit, and then looks warm and relaxed as her little face falls forward fast asleep. The pop! She wakes again.

We've only had her a few days...I thought she was sick. She just seems to take a lot of cat naps face first.
lol.png

cute posts!
Since I'm a fist-timer too, I made a post a few days ago about chicks sleeping funny. I got up in the middle of the night and all 32 of my little fluff-balls were splayed out like road-kill. I thought they had all died. Now I think its so cute to see them sleeping! 2 of mine are best friends now, and they sleep all balled up, using eachother's bums as a pillow. I'll try to catch them in the act and post a pic on here. Its so adorable.

I'm so happy to find this thread! My 4-week-old cochins keep spreading out as soon as the sun hits them. I thought they were dying, too! My 2-week-old speckled sussex stretch out on their sides to sleep and then get all annoyed when I "test" them by waking them up. I've been a wreck, running outside every hour to check on them. My husband keeps assuring me that they're fine, and I'm just a crazy mom
smile.png
Its so funny, I was never this paranoid with my three kids... I guess instincts took over there and I was more confident. These chickens have me going batty!

One more person for the "they all do it" list
smile.png

Just think of it this way--imagine all the different ways you've seen human children sleep. I've seen kids sleep with their hinies sticking up in the air, draped half upside down off the couch, with their eyes open, you name it. And they all came out OK
wink.png

Though I have to admit, my day-olds falling asleep on their feet then falling over on their little bums was about the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

Thanks for this thread. We have caught our chicks playing possum several times & thought they were dead! They do get irritated when you wake them up.

Quote:
Same thing to me with mine. I never had chicks before n i went out got me 2 little one week old serama chickies for 70$. Its been 2 sleepless night for me with them eventhough i had them in the same set up as the breeder i got them from.

Back
Top Bottom