Do chicks ever sleep?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by singleton, Apr 4, 2012.

1. singleton

singleton Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2012
    Good gosh - every time I check in on the chicks they are always happily hopping around the crate, eating, stretching...doing whatever it is that 3-day old chicks do...but they never seem to be sleeping! I had assumed at night time they would settle down and go to sleep - but its getting pretty late and they're still up and about. Is it OK that they are still so active? (this might be a silly question, but hey, its my first time with chicks - I certainly dont know!)
    Thanks!

2. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    It is just fine. Chicks are a lot like our own babies and keep to a schedule all their own. Give it time and they will soon be on a better schedule. For now they need to eat and get as big as they can!

No question is a silly one, don't be afraid to ask!

Have fun with your babies!

3. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Yes they do. Or at least mine did. They lived in my room and they would finally settle down when I came to bed. They would sometimes still be asleep when my alarm clock went off and then they would all start chirping and squaking when it started beeping. So yes they do sleep :)

4. singleton

singleton Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2012
    Thank you!
    I have them in the mudroom of our house - so I get to see them frequently...plus I work nights (from my house) so I'll be checking in on them a lot tonight. Thanks for the reassurance...now I wont worry! :)

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    lots of naps. Mine had a schedule, it was eat,nap, play, nap, eat, nap, poop, nap, eat, nap, poop, eat, nap, play, poop, nap, eat. Same thing everyday[​IMG]
    I think the heat lamp keeps them from sleeping through the night. We have had extremely warm nights. So I let the light stay off until I go to bed 10:00, 11:00, on the weekends maybe midnight. When I go out to turn on the light. They are sleeping.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Chicks that are being raised by their mother take naps snuggled into her feathers. Chicks raised in a brooder may snuggle together at naptime. If the temperature in the brooder is warm enough, they may nap wherever they are - face down, total zonk, looking for all the world like a sacked out puppy (with a few anatomical differences, lol). That works as long as everyone is on the same sleep schedule. Chicks are light sleepers, though. Also, other chicks have no respect for nappers - they will walk right over another sleeping chick! Where upon the napper wakes with some indignant chirping "hey! What do you think you're doing!"

I have also watched chicks fight sleep, just like a toddler. Standing there, eyelids drooping, head drooping, sometimes even stumbling forward and waking with a chirp, but won't give in and lie down. Silly chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by