Do chicks need the heat lamp constantly?

Yes, 24/7 However as they get a bit of real feathers, give them the heat lamp and an area where they can be away from it too. When the weather reaches in the 80's they don't need heat.

Babies need to be in a 80' heat till they get their feathers in. If the birds have a mom, she will keep them warm. If they are cold they suffer and could die.

hello everyone. I have kept my chicks at 70 degrees from week 1-5 I am moving them to their coop tomorrow (they've been living a life of luxury in my basement!). I live in northern michigan and it is still right around 50-60 F° during the day and 25-35 F at night. do you think i should put their heat lamp in their coop with them once i move them outside? their coop is in my barn completely rain and wind proof (but it still gets cold in there at night) they are fully feathered so idk. Id like to take the lamp off them but dont want them to die. opinions please! thanks :)

Since you have had them on heat steady, you probably should for the first few nights. They haven't acclimated to those cool nights yet and will need to adjust to that over the course of a two to three days. They are almost ready to ditch the heat though. Good luck!

They must have some nice feathers by now! Sure seems like this winter just keeps dragging on. I'm not a big fan of heat lamps in coops so do take great caution when installing it. Turn the lamp off early in the day and turn it on later in the evening to get them adjusted. Be safe and enjoy.

me either it makes me nervous! I sure dont want any fires. so do you think like when it hits 40 degrees in the morning shut it off and turn it on at night around the same temp? they do have beautiful feathers! i have 7 australorps and 7 easter eggers.

The days are warmer and they'll be active. It's a good way to get them used to the cooler temps. You'll have to watch them to see if they are comfortable. I've noticed they "cry" when they're uncomfortable, or a feel chilled. My brooder broke and I knew it from the kind of peep they make. In just a couple of days, you should see them become very comfortable with their new surroundings. Plus, I highly recommend looking into an Eco Brinsea brooder or Sweeter Heater. It's good piece of mind.

Those breeds are tough so you shouldn't have any issues.

You can plug your lamp in to a outlet wired to a dimmer switch. I hung my lamps on light weight chain with S hooks so I could adjust the height.

I then wired up a electrical box with two dimmer switches in it. I used extension cords coming out of the box that my lights plug in to. The male end of one of the cords, I used to plug in my dimmer box. A very handy set up.

My chicks will be two weeks old tomorrow, and, I have the two 250W heat lamps at about one fourth power. I started out with it about 100 under the lamps, 90 away from them. In no time, the chicks were avoiding the lamps, so, I turned them down gradually. It's 90 under the lamps and 80 away from them currently. The chicks seem fine with it, go wherever they want in the 48" square brooder box. Some sleep near or under the lamps, some away from them, so, I think they are happy.

I have read where after a couple of weeks, 24/7 light may stress the chicks, so, if you can maintain temperature without the lamps for the night, that would give them a break from the light. I have a ceramic heater in the room with them next to the brooder box. It keeps the room warm so I need less light intensity to maintain brooder temperature.

I don't know that I will go without lamps for a while as they really do not make much light at their current setting and there are dark corners for the chicks to go to.

I am a first timer, and all the books I have read and this forum allowed me to be very prepared and know what to expect.

Yes, the chicks are every bit of fun that people say, so funny and comical we just love sitting and watching them. At two weeks, they are loving testing their wings, so, I put a screen on the brooder and declared a no fly zone. So much fun.

j.

Back
Top Bottom