Do chicks pant like dogs when hot?

vegaburm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Just put some 5 weeks olds out in the henhouse yesterday and they are out there panting away. Lord knows it's hot out. Just checked the temp at 96 degrees. Yuck. So is it normal for them to pant when it's that hot?

They have a large shaded area outside that's a little cooler, but they are't brave enough to leave the coop yet. lol.

And now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and put the three week olds out there with as hot as it is. I don't think it's getting less than 75 or so in the evenings. Maybe tomorrow I'll check the temp in the early morning when I get up. I think they'll be fine though...any advice there?

sounds like it's too hot.. do they have a window or a fan? I usually fill my waterers with ice cubes & give them cold or frozen treats like veggies or fruit. It helps cool them off. good luck!
smile.png

Yes they pant. There are several post today about how to cool them off. If they won't leave the coop make sure to have fresh air blowing in there. A fan in the window can help. Make sure they have cool fresh water. You could also add some ice in the water for a cool treat. Ice won't last long but will cool them some. Good Luck

Yes, they will pant when over heated. Chickens deal with cold much better than heat, make sure they have plenty of water. Not sure what else you can do, I am new at this chicken thing myself. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can advise further. As far as the 3 week olds, it doesn't sound like they will be cold during the day, you might want to check on them when the sun goes down to make sure they are warm enough.

This is my first post but when i read your post I thought of my 6 week old chicks in the henhouse panting. It's supposed to get up to 100 this week and there is a cross breeze in my coop. I opened the pop door so they could go out in the shade (coop is shaded too) but they are not brave enough. They have water but should I put in a fan?

lol, well, good to know panting is pretty normal. They have plenty of water, two large doors open for breeze, and I imagine they'll be going out in the shade where it's cooler within a few days. They'll get up the nerve to leave the coop soon! It's raised and they have to go down a ramp, so it's a little harder for them to do it! Thanks guys!

i would give your chickens a little boost to the ramp to go outside...they could stay in there for weeks without going out...just give em a little shove

I probably will tomorrow. Didn't want to kick them out too quick cause I wanted them to get used to it as their home so they'd know to go back at night....

I'm in Florida and my girls pant during the day. To encourage them to get enough fluids I take chucks of chilled watermelon out and they go nuts. They dig out cool patches under the bushes so I think they are ok.

Back
Top Bottom