Do cochins always have feathered feet? What is the name for this coloration of Brahma?

valper

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2020
Småland, Sweden
I adopted 5 hens a few days ago from someone that couldn't care for them. I was told they are Cochins (three of them) and Brahmas (two).
I have never had these breeds before, so I'm curious to know if this stands true. The ones said to be cochins do not have any leg feathers - These are the light gray girls in the pictures. The brahmas do, but I don't know what "kind" they are, according to their colour. These ladies are between 1-2 years old.

Attachments

• photo_2020-11-04_11-21-45.jpg
    photo_2020-11-04_11-21-45.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 105
  • photo_2020-11-04_11-21-49.jpg
    photo_2020-11-04_11-21-49.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 57
  • photo_2020-11-04_11-21-52.jpg
    photo_2020-11-04_11-21-52.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 52
  • photo_2020-11-04_11-21-56.jpg
    photo_2020-11-04_11-21-56.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 55
Hello, yes Cochins always have feathered feet. The two pale gray (called lavender) without feathered feet, would be Lavender Orpingtons, IMO.

Would you be able to take close ups of the others, particularly what kind of combs they have? Do you know where the lady got them from?

I would tentatively guess the feather-footed barred hen is a Cochin? Barred is not a standard color for Brahmas, at least in the US. But may depend on her comb type.

Hello, yes Cochins always have feathered feet. The two pale gray (called lavender) without feathered feet, would be Lavender Orpingtons, IMO.

Would you be able to take close ups of the others, particularly what kind of combs they have? Do you know where the lady got them from?

I would tentatively guess the feather-footed barred hen is a Cochin? Barred is not a standard color for Brahmas, at least in the US. But may depend on her comb type.

But barring isn’t standard for Brahmas ... where did she get them??? I WANT ONE :love

Well even if it were a barred Cochin, I want one of those, too, in regular size.:D

EDIT: I see you are in Sweden, sorry. Don’t quote me, but I think I read somewhere Brahma colors other than Light, Dark, and Buff are more common in Europe than in the US?? Lucky for you 😁

@ladybrasa @OneHappyRooster
Here are a few more pictures but I couldn't get super close, unfortunately. The ladies don't know me so well and get a little worried.

The barred hen is molting so she looks a bit scruffy. She has what I think is a small pea comb (as does the black and brown one, though larger) and they have very small wattles.

As for the lavender girls, they have another type of comb (single?), also very small wattles.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 47
So the three without feathered legs are Orpingtons. You have two Splash (not Lavender) and one Blue. The Brahmas look like project colors. The one that is predominately black and white appears to be similar to a Crele. The black and gold one I'm less sure of. It looks like an F1 or F2 Gold-laced Brahma project bird. There's poor, but proper gold-lacing on the breast, but the back has double lacing like a Barnevelder.

Hmm 🤔 actually with the new picks, at least one of the lavender hens looks splash, actually. Do one or both have the pale lavender/grey color with random spots of darker grey? That might explain the other hen that is dark grey or “blue”. So they might be Blue/Black/Splash Orpingtons? Single combs you said? Orpingtons have single combs, and they are big and floofy, no feathered feet.

EDIT: Sorry again, Colthandorf already said that!!

Back
Top Bottom